Black dust/ash on a new Macbook Pro - Should we be concerned?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wry Guy, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Wry Guy macrumors newbie

I've been noticing that more and more posters here are noting that there was some sort of black dusty substance stuck to the corners of their recently shipped MBPs.

I'd like to get a sense for who is experiencing this issue, and when their laptop was shipped- the more information there is, the more likely it is that Apple, if contacted, will be able to provide an explanation.

Not only does this substance detract from the appearance of the new Macbooks (especially considering the price!), I'm a little concerned as to the safety of the substance. The factory producing the laptops is located in China, which has a notorious reputation for using some pretty nasty stuff in their products. Of course, this may be completely overkill and silly- but still, knowledge is power, and Apple should be alerted to the situation.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. Wry Guy thread starter macrumors newbie

I intended this more for anyone concerned with the issue to post when their Macbook was shipped- mostly because I believe the posts only began cropping up with the most recent wave of shipments; if that can be confirmed, it may prove important, if this becomes a bigger issue.

Slightly redundant, yes, but there you are.

4. aibo82 macrumors 6502

Hi

Right has anybody sat down to think about this? the unibody is made from? aluminium So what do you get when you CNC milling and polish aluminium Black dust!

Think of that nice silver jewelry yo may have give that a posh with some silver polish an it will turn your cloth black!

Thats what you get when you rub and build up friction on aluminum i expect!

Also maybe the macbook pros are aluminum oxide coated and this can resemble dust!
    [​IMG]