Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon today has Apple's AirPods Max available at $439.99 in Silver, Sky Blue, and Space Gray. All models are in stock and ready to ship out today.

AirPods-Max-Deal-Feature-Silver.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Although this sale isn't a record low price, it's just about $10 off from the previous lowest price on the AirPods Max and still one of the steepest discounts we've tracked all year.

Additionally, we're seeing a few solid deals on other AirPods models on Amazon, including the AirPods Pro with MagSafe for $169.99 ($79 off) and the AirPods 2 for $114.99 ($44 off). All models are in stock and sold directly from Amazon.

We're keeping track of all this season's best deals in our Black Friday 2021 Roundup. You can also find more of our daily deals and other offers in our Deals Roundup.

Article Link: Black Friday: AirPods Max Available for $439.99 on Amazon ($109 Off)

Last edited:

spartan1967

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2019
Amazon just put AirPods 3 for $169.99 Plus an additional $15.00 Off at checkout. Just bought them with the added bonus of a 1/31 return date (just in case they go lower than this deal by then ?).

Excited for the new technology vs my AirPods 2. Nervous because a lot of people including me like the “perfect” fit with the AirPods 2 and say the AirPods 3 are too big. ?

So for me, today is Christmas Eve. ?

thejoshuabradshaw

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2018
Huntsville, Alabama
For me, phone calls, movies, tasks. Make these so good. Oh, they also play music. Wherever I turn my head and what device I am looking at, they just simple adjust to my needs. Love them. Phone calls are probably the best experience followed by movies.

Reactions: amartinez1660

Student of Life

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2020
So tempted but ill wait until blackfriday/cyber Monday to see if the price goes down. For me I would need to buy an actual case to carry the headphones so thats an additional hidden cost to consider.

thejoshuabradshaw

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2018
Huntsville, Alabama
So tempted but ill wait until blackfriday/cyber Monday to see if the price goes down. For me I would need to buy an actual case to carry the headphones so thats an additional hidden cost to consider.
The cases are a nightmare to get the one you like or at least it was for me to the point where I just use the one it came with. Waterfield [Best] > Spegien [Good] > Tule [Interesting]

Reactions: jazz1

Student of Life

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2020
The cases are a nightmare to get the one you like or at least it was for me to the point where I just use the one it came with. Waterfield [Best] > Spegien [Good] > Tule [Interesting]
I know, ideally I would want something not too bulky and just functional. I feel like the case it comes with doesn't offer real protection if I where to carry it around all day. I will look into the cases you posted

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
Perhaps its that I don't carry them too often, but these things are built like tanks. I purchased a Waterfield Designs case for them and have not used it once. Usually I slide these into my backpack in the same compartment as my laptop (just outside of the sleeve for the laptop) and really don't worry a bit about them getting damaged. Either that or sometimes I just carry them by the headband in my hand if I'm not carrying a bag.

With "cheap" plastic headphones (I'm talking about the popular Sonys, Bose, etc), I would certainly want a case because their build is naturally less durable and susceptible to breaking. I honestly just don't worry bout it with the Max. The only thing I worry about getting damaged is that mesh on the headband.

Everyone has their own preferences, so I understand the sentiment about the case-- obviously I started out feeling that way too. And my use case is such that I really don't seem to need one. If I was flying or even just cramming a lot more stuff into a bag, I would use the Waterfield case. I just haven't needed it and actually like the Apple "sleeve" that these come with.

Archeteo

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2021
I will definitely get these but I think — an amazing deal notwithstanding — I'll wait until the new generation versions come out with all the expected refinements. I've got the AirPods Pro and they do the job for now.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G4
Mar 19, 2008
Wishing for version 2.0 here, these are for too heavy for my head

Fully agree

They should make a "sport" version with HQ plastics to get the weight down.

The build quality on the APM is impressive -- impressively overkill -- and too heavy for no real good reason.

tsa1

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2008
$399 come on. Good thing is I don’t need headphones. This is still a great deal.

warpdrive

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
I would consider a version of these headphones with a lighter build and another $100 price reduction, but somehow I doubt that Apple will ever bother coming out with a version 2. The earbud Airpods are probably selling like gangbusters compared to this thing, and it's more likely they would discontinue this rather than reengineer this one to be more affordable. Like the Homepod, the Mini version is what more people are willing to afford, the regular Airpods satisfies the functional need just the same with "good enough" sound quality.

I haven't seen these in the wild at all (but I don't get out much anymore), but everybody has regular Airpods.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G4
Mar 19, 2008
I haven't seen these in the wild at all (but I don't get out much anymore), but everybody has regular Airpods.

I finally saw my first pair in the wild the other week when boarding a flight..
It was a lady in first class with a set of pink ones.

I agree with your overall thesis. I'll be really surprised if these aren't a one & done. It feels like a product they'd been working on for a long time, perhaps even with some design instincts as the original HomePod.

(quality and build with little regard for market fit and pricing, etc)

Last edited:
Reactions: KindJamz

warpdrive

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
(quality and build with little regard for market fit and pricing, etc)

Apple tends to do that.....and sometimes it sticks. People are now used to $1000+ phones, but phones are indispensable gadgets for everybody, and you can finance them with carrier plans etc. So it's easy to make the justification if you are an average user who likes nice stuff.

With headphones, really people just want to hear their music. The difference in sound quality between the Airpods Pro and these Max headphones would be mostly subtle to most. I mean, I have really nice wired home headphones myself like Focal and Sennheiser, and the Airpods Pro are quite listenable when I'm on the move. And then these things are bulky too, doesn't fold, messes with your hair, heavy to wear, and you need to carry around that ridiculous case. It just doesn't fit into your life well. What do you get in return? They are ok as earmuffs in the winter, and it's highly visible so you can flex your taste in expensive things and maybe if you want to exhibit the DJ guy wearing big headphones fashion look. I just don't see many people lusting after these. Personally I would pick any other pair of true wireless headphones instead (and there are lots of good ones even if I didn't like the regular Airpods)

Being the best in sound quality alone isn't going to drive big sales. You think Apple should have learned this: iPod Hifi, Homepod OG, and probably now Airpods Max.

Reactions: turbineseaplane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.