iPad Black Friday + Best Buy Elite Plus = Goodness

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PhillyAnt, Nov 30, 2013.

1. PhillyAnt macrumors regular

PhillyAnt

Just wanted to share my experience. My local Best Buy was all sold out of the 64gb AT&T iPad Airs for Black Friday. I figured this would be the case. I had purchased mine in the beginning of November and when I heard of the Black Friday deal I planned on returning it so I could get it at the cheaper price (they state that they won't match Black Friday prices on previous purchases). I am a Best Buy Elite Plus member so I have a 45 day return period on everything and I get double reward zone points on all my purchases. My points from when I purchased this in the beginning of the month were approved on Wednesday and I had $25 worth of reward zone coupons.

I got to the store and every person in the customer service line was screaming, arguing, and just making life miserable for the poor Best Buy employees. It got to my turn and I gave the customer service worker a compliment and made her smile a little bit, doing whatever I could to do make her feel better about working retail on this stupid Black Friday holiday. It worked. She matched the price and also allowed me to use my reward zone coupons. I originally paid $824 for the Air when I got it earlier in the month because I had a $5 reward zone coupon. With all these new discounts, I got the 64gb AT&T Air for $739 exactly. No tax because I got it in Delaware. I sold my iPad 3 to a friend for $500 cash. That means I got the new iPad Air for $239. Not a bad deal, if I must say so myself ;)

2. aneftp macrumors 68040

Must not be a good friend if you sold iPad 3 to him/her for $500 cash even if it were the top iPad 3 lte model.

3. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Seriously!

4. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

5. davideotape macrumors 6502

if you have any more friends looking for an ipad im selling my ipad 4 for $400

6. wxman2003 Suspended

Wow! $500 for an ipad 3? Talk about screwing your friends. As they say, with friends like that, who needs enemies. Wasn't worth more than $250, and only if it was the 64 GB/LTE version. :cool:

7. racer1441 macrumors 68000

It's on the friend to not be stupid about things.

8. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Unfortunate for your friend, fortunate for you. Best buy usually never budges on their policies.

9. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

How's that? Do you have a BB Credit Card? Elite Plus itself is only 1.25 points per dollar.

10. aneftp macrumors 68040

I am best buy elite also. They didn't even bother sending me email about special early Black Friday for elite members. N

11. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

How much did you pay for the iPad 3 originally? You have to factor that cost in. No such thing as a free lunch!

12. DelMac macrumors regular

Still better to buy straight from the Apple store than dealing with that big box store.

13. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I do love Best Buy myself. There was an Elite purchase event couple weeks ago, bought a new Haswell 13" rMBP 8GB/256GB for $1250 plus ~$80 worth in reward points (triple points on all purchases for that event) :D But regularly Elite Plus gives you 1.25x points, not 2x as you pointed out.

For iPad Air though, the deal is at Target this year. Bought myself a 32GB Air with a $100 Target gift card for $605 with tax (Redcard 5% off). Very surprised they still have them. I was so sure they'd only have a handful for this deal but I was seriously wrong - I heard some stores have 500-1000 iPads available and were restocked today.

Wow $500 for an iPad 3. I can't do that to a friend :eek: Do it to Gamestop - I traded my 16GB iPad Air to them for **$675** :eek: after buying the 32GB Air from Target :D They have unbelievable trade-in deals on iPads (30% extra from the $375 base trade, plus another 50% from a coupon).

14. Zerotolerance macrumors member

I ordered an iPad Air from Best Buy yesterday. It was on sale for $50 off, plus another $50 in store coupons if you choose the Ship to Store or Pick Up in Store options. Add to that $10 in regular Members Rewards, plus the extra credit card bonus points BB was offering over Black Friday weekend, and it ended up being $122 off. Overall, not a bad deal.

15. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

sounds like my coworker "friend" lol. He keeps offering me great "deals", very similar to this one.

16. PhillyAnt thread starter macrumors regular

PhillyAnt

Actually, he is the person that offered me that amount. He knew what Gamestop offered me for it (I can't remember exactly but I think it was around $430) and he said "Ef it, I will give you $500 for it." He got my 64gb AT&T iPad 3 plus a smart cover and a shell for the back for $500. It was HIS CHOICE to pay that price. You can wipe the salt of your shoulders now. Yes, he is a great friend, haters! lol

I'm sorry, I gave wrong info in my original post. I don't use the Best Buy credit card. I like to pay cash. They had a special the day that I purchased the iPad Air that gave me 2x points on all purchases.

I actually purchased my 64gb AT&T iPad 3 for $787 total from Target. Gotta know how to look for the deals. I saved on tax by purchasing it in Delaware and I also used my Target Credit Card and saved an additional 5% on the purchase. Didn't pay any interest either because I paid off the purchase as soon as the balance showed up on the card. That 5% discount is the only reason I carry a Target card.

When you do that math, I paid $787 for the iPad 3, sold it for $500 and was left with a $287 loss. I had that iPad for about 2 years. That means I paid about $12 a month for the privilege of using an iPad until I upgraded it. I purchased the iPad Air for $739 minus the $500 I got for my iPad 3 for a total of $239

Anyway, you guys can stop being mad that I got $500 for my iPad now. I can understand though because I would be mad too if I sold my iPad 3 for $250 and I knew someone else got $500 for theirs. :cool:

17. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Cool story op. I wish more people could get deals like you.

18. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Your account probably got charged for a return, no way round it as they just cannot issue a price match for BF without doing so from what I know.

Just keep that in mind as BB is becoming more strict for returns accumulated.

19. PhillyAnt thread starter macrumors regular

PhillyAnt

Yeah I was concerned with that when I went there. I asked the rep and she told me that she wasn't doing a return. Looking at the receipt, it is labeled "Price Match" at the top of it instead of how it normally has "return" printed there when you are making a return.

I am guessing that my smile and friendly attitude towards her made me seem like an angel compared to the other people that were screaming at her in line. That probably pushed her to want to help me with it. She went and grabbed a manager and they were both happy to help me out, although she did say that they normally do not match Black Friday deals.

20. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

That's not too bad (and I'll withhold any comments on the sale of the iPad 3 to the friend). To tack on to your Best Buy experience, I'm also an Elite Plus member and just picked up a 64GB wifi Air and Smart Cover for $650 (tax incl.). BB had the airs on sale for three days at $50 off 16/32gb, $60 off 64gb and $70 off 128gb. Then they added in a current promo of $10 credit for every $100 spent online for items either shipped to store of in store pickup. I somehow managed to mark my order as ship to home, so I called the Elite Plus hotline, talked to a bunch of folks (can't say they are the best group of phone support I've dealt with), and in the end they are crediting me back $50 (and the iPad and cover will be delivered to my house). So, that will be cheaper than the 64GB retina mini I currently have.

21. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

I never got an email either. really an elite club huh? lol

plus, they turned off in store pickup during that elite sale. by the time i get my items it will have been over 7 days. They turned off all expedited shipping options as well.

22. PhillyAnt thread starter macrumors regular

PhillyAnt

Awesome! Glad to hear I'm not the only one that got a great deal!

23. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Hilarious some of the people on this thread trying to rain on your parade... Good job man! I was going to attempt this but I ended up finding a Wifi 64gb iPad Mini w/ Retina for $70 off (open item) and as far as I can tell it's flawless (no the lower color gamut does not bother me) so I returned my "First Day" iPad Air LTE 32gb and saved myself well over $200. I really want an LTE model... but damn that extra $130 really bites ya in the a$$... anyway.

Good job on treating the BB employee like a human unlike the animals out there on Black Friday!

24. PhillyAnt thread starter macrumors regular

PhillyAnt

Thanks for the kind words, MrXiro! Congrats on your savings too! Enjoy your iPad :)