Black Friday decisions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gman901, Nov 19, 2009.

1. gman901 macrumors 6502a

I am planning on purchasing a new 13" unibody model on Black Friday and plan so that I obviously get the best deal possible. I want to consolidate all my laptops to just one, which means I need one that will handle video editing and moderate gaming. It has to be a Mac because my windows gaming machine is too big for portability and I use OSX. I played Modern Warfare 2 on my wife's Macbook Unibody on pretty much the highest settings and it plays smooth. I am happy with the gaming performance and believe if this model can handle this game, then most games that are current should look and play just fine. So which model in the 13" spec would give me the best experience overall for performance and potentially have a nice discount next Friday?

2. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

I think the MBP 13.3'' (Highest model) would be the best option as its 4GB Ram and those models come with Nvidia 9400M video cards.
    Im curious to see what others say to.

3. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I was interested in that model, even though I know the other two 13" models can be upgraded to 4 gb as well. I am wondering if there is any benefit going beyond 4 gb of ram? The white unibody seems nice as well for the money, but I am not sure how durable and upgradeable it is.

4. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

Ya I also checked into upgraded the MacBook to 4GB instead of 2GB, but I thought it would cost more and a pain to actually change it lol
    I prefer the aluminum body more then the white MB :p I also like the keypad light and other extra features!

5. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

4 gb's RAM should be enough for your moderate gaming though. You might wanna look at a MBP with a better graphics setup though if you plan to play more intensive games.

6. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

4GB would be plenty for me! Im not a gamer though, I just prefer to always have a higher end video card lol and unfortunetly the 13.3'' MBP models only have the Nvidia 9400M which I think should work just fine for videos, photos.
    This is my opinion as you ur stating ur answer to OP.

7. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

yes it should. :) but i havent heared so much good things about the 9400M when it comes to gaming. So gamers might want to look at a higher spec graphics setup.

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

adding ram and more storage to a 13" MBP is DIY

but you cant increase the processor... so if you want it to last the longest and have you have the $$$, then go with the 2.53 13" MBP

not sure what you are expecting on BF in terms of apple store sales, but you are going to be dissapointed....

what state are you in? how much sales tax?

For me here in CA, it would be $1500 + $140 tax = $1640 - 10% off (black friday sale) = $1480

13" 2.53 MBP is $1399 AR, no tax, free shipping here, saves me $80:
    http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=9899462

here are the numbers for the 9400M (tested in an imac, but the numbers should be about the same)

http://www.barefeats.com/imac09d.html

9. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Just had a look at the numbers of the 9400M supplied by the above poster...
    they dont look so good do they?

thankfully im not a gamer:p