Black Friday Poll: Did you purchase a MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by KPOM, Nov 26, 2010.

?

What Promotional Purchases Did You Make on Black Friday?

Poll closed Nov 29, 2010.
  1. I purchased a MacBook Air 13"

32 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. I purchased other technology items

25 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. I purchased other non-technology items

13 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. What's Black Friday?

29 vote(s)
    31.9%
  1. KPOM macrumors G5

So did you take the plunge? Was $101 enough of a discount for you?

I already had my "ultimate 13" from MacMall's Apple Insider promo at a similar price to Apple's Black Friday sale, but that didn't stop me from hitting up the Apple Store online today. I purchased a 16GB 3G iPad and accessories as a gift.

I also snared a refurbished 128GB SSD from Crucial.com for $128 that I'll use as a secondary/backup drive through a USB 2.0 enclosure (hopefully the next MacBook Air has LightPeak or USB 3.0 so we can get the external speeds we deserve). It took a long time to get through the site at 9:00AM MST when the promo started, but it was worth it.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I didn't buy any Mac products. I purchased some presents for the family, but that's about it.

3. hcho3 macrumors 68030

While 101 dollars is nothing to left at, most of us already get discounts thru our employers. The student also gets discount on MBA as well. The students are getting 50 dollars off.

Bottom line, Apple black Friday deal was nothing special. You could always get these kind of discounts thru macmall, mac connection or amazon.

4. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

I bought a non Apple iCore 3 / Nvidia laptop for the wife's daughter and a 32 gig thumb drive for me...

5. Walter Bell macrumors regular

6. Thunderbird1, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010

Thunderbird1 macrumors newbie

Hurray! MacMall!!

What a great place to shop! The agent for MacMall was very friendly and helpful. She matched Apple and beat them for a better price. MacBook Air 13 ultimate for 1698!! What a deal!!! They get all my business from now on.
    The government tax thugs did not get part of this one! Down with any kind of tax. Taxes destroy society and the economy more than almost anything else.

Macbook Air 13.3 Ultimate, Macbook Pro unibody 17" - i7 2010, 15" 2008, 13" 2.54 2009, TC 1 TB & 2 TB, Apple TV 160 GB, 5 - iphone 4 32gb, iPad 64gb 3g and 32gb wifi, 22" 2001 Apple Cinema Display & 24" Apple Cinema Display.

7. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

[​IMG]

8. Glaxx macrumors regular

Glaxx

I actually bought mine last week.. called today and got them to refund the difference between today's price. Gotta love Apple on something like that. :cool:

9. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

-fixed mother dryer (somehow she put cloth down lint trap...tear apart...fish out cloth...2 hours of pure fun errrr)

-tryed to fix sisters evil epia mini computer (only way to get to boot into xp is to first del into bios then restart...wierd)

-bought myself nothing :-(

sitting back on a my ibook reading macrumors forums....ahhh bliss

10. nickpro macrumors regular

just bought a base 11.6 model from amazon for $949 shipped. i am extremely pleased at the lack of tax.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Not for number of built to order systems.

12. navanod macrumors member

MacMall, MacConnection and Amazon no, but employer and student discounts yes. I bought mine 5 minutes after the store was up and running through my employee discount site! 11.6 "ultimate!

13. tony-0709 macrumors member

ordered maxed out macbook air 13" 2.13ghz 4gb ram etc.

Takes 3 working days to ship,
    and will arrive around friday next week, or following tuesday...

Soooo long!

14. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I feel like Apple needs to take a different approach to BF. Why discount a bunch of Macs by $101 that are meant for the Pro audience? Seriously, consumers target BF, so why not discount consumer products more heavily and leave the Pros untouched?

I feel like Apple should have discounted the MacBook by $250 for five hours online or in the store. I feel they should have discounted the iPad by $125. I feel they should have discounted the iPod Touch by 25% each.

These types of discounts would mean they make a little less margin on each sold, but they would spur real talk about Apple and their products. We all know the iPad is going to be updated in a few months, so why not discount the crap out of them one day for five hours to really spur some cheap supply driving more demand and getting some free press about the huge discounts. Every consumer that wants one hears about it after the fact and goes ahead and buys anyways because there was more hype.

I just don't see the point in discounting pro products and leaving consumer products untouched without a discount and other consumer products with such minor discounts that there's no talk about Apple at all.

Did anyone else see how all of these Apple resellers get around iPod Touch discounts? They offer $50 or $70 gift cards for people who buy the expensive iPods. It works great for the store and creates a loophole actually spurring sales of Apple products for the holidays. I know Apple may not "need" to do anything, but it creates goodwill with customers and spurs sales that would possibly not otherwise happened. Apple needs to reduce the barrier to affordability for some of their consumer products even if it's just one day of the year.

15. epoche, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

epoche macrumors newbie

epoche

Prepared fornshipment

I ordered 13" Ultimate Friday from Apple. Still says "Prepared for Shipment"...Delivers November 30th to December 6th.

Shipped from China this morning. Will receive Thursday the 4th.

16. mac jones macrumors 68040

Bought the 13" with the discount at an Apple store. :)

17. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

Bought an 11" Macbook air thru the educational discount program. Upgraded it to 4gb. It'll be my first real Mac computer!

18. threeputt macrumors member

I purchased the 13 inch MBA ultimate at the local Apple store on Black Friday. Very pleased to date.

19. sam67uk macrumors member

Bought a 13.3" 4GB/2.13/256SSD at the Apple Store in Belfast. My Government discount was actually £10 more than the Black Friday Deal.

Lovely machine and very fast :) Unfortunately the build of iLife 11 on the usb restore key is faulty and after 4 failed attempts I had to create a disk image from the retail disk and install that way. :eek:

20. threeputt macrumors member

When I picked up my MBA ultimate on Friday, all the iLife 11 was already installed. Had to do a quick update on iPhoto but other than that things are running smoothly.

21. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Purchased on MBA 11". Should be on the poll even though it didn't have a discount.

22. Atamagaii macrumors newbie

Oh dear, I do hope you're joking...

23. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

My main intent was to gauge whether the $101 discount on the 13" enticed anyone to buy it. If you are voting, I'd put your purchase on the "other technology items" choice.

24. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I did one better. Went to BEst Buy and got the MBP 13" with $125 gift card and bought other stuff I needed. :)

25. foiden macrumors 6502a

I had the money to spend on an Air, and I was long since set on getting one. My purchase of the 13" Air was more of a coincidence that it should happen around close to Black Friday. On the other hand, goverment work, so my discount was actually better than Black Friday's.