Black Friday purchase or wait until next year

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 925AS, Nov 16, 2008.

  1. 925AS macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2006
    Location:
    CALIFORNIA
    #1
    I'm buying a new MBP. The questions that remains to be answered is whether I buy it this year or if I should wait until next year. Ultimately, I don't need it right now, but considering they have just been upgraded and the potential black friday deals could be more than apple usually offers should I buy now?

    I don't think there will be any announcement on the MBP at MacWorld, so I think any updates will not be seen until late spring.

    Thoughts?
     
  2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

    JG271

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2007
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    What thoughts are you looking for? Seems like an entirely up to you... if you do buy it next year, when would you buy it? You could even wait until next black friday!
     
  3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

    puckhead193

    Joined:
    May 25, 2004
    Location:
    NY
    #3
    depends on where you buy it from. If through apple your prob only going to save $100. If you buy it through amazon etc you could end up saving more which would be nice.. Even if there was an update, you got an awesome price for your current one. The only time for an update would MWSF in early January and the only thing i could see is the 17" and maybe a blue ray but thats more of my hopes :p
    See what deals there are and then make up your mind.
     
  4. 925AS thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2006
    Location:
    CALIFORNIA
    #4
    I could wait until June, but it would be ideal to have it in January. Perhaps I will see what deals are to be had through different retailers on black friday and see what I am compelled to do.
     
  5. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2008
    Location:
    Boulder, Colorado
    #5
    Wait a week, then get it off eBay with the 200 dollar cashback and the CHOLIDAYNOV2008 coupon code.
     
  6. the advisor macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2008
    Location:
    Long Island
    #6
    Do it.

    I would recommend getting it now. The improvements are epic. It feels better, its lightening fast, the new touchpad features are incredible. We currently have four Mac Laptops in my household, one of which being a brand spanking new 2.53 MBP, which I am currently using. I didn't quite appreciate the differences until I really became fully acquainted with it. I do not think it is a decision you will regret.
     
  7. 925AS thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2006
    Location:
    CALIFORNIA
    #7
    I too have a couple mac's at home although my newest model is an iMac. I guess my fear is that while unlikely that Apple updates the MBP at Macworld the chance exists that the Nehalem processor might be announced.

    I'm afraid to buy a computer off eBay, i've had friends do so with very bad results. I will probably buy it through apple or amazon (they have a rebate on MBP's). Thanks for the coupon though.
     
  8. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2008
    #8
    They can't update the MBPs until Intel releases the mobile chips for Nehalem..which isn't until late late 2009.
     
  9. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #9
    Well, they could update them but would be incremental or non CPU related. I would think probably Summer before we see updates to both the MB and MBP. Now, the 17" MBP and MBA may see changes improvements and updates based on recent minor updates to 17" and potential for further MBA updates.

    The MBA however big the upgrade was, has room for a 2 GHz processor, glass trackpad, super glossy screen with glass and black bezel/mirror, and 4 GB memory. That would make my 2009. Dreaming again...
     
  10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #10
    ^ if they do update, just probably some minor stuff like maybe adding a FW 400 port or adding a matte screen (probably not) or something along the lines of that.
     

Share This Page