Black Friday Sales of iPod touch's = new ipod touch coming?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lasergecko, Nov 14, 2014.

1. lasergecko macrumors newbie

I've seen a bunch of sales for 5th gen ipod touches. Toys r us, walmart, etc., (all I've found through slickdeals.net). Any chance that could mean that they would be reducing inventory to clear the way for an update?

2. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

doubt it. It doesn't sell that well anymore and I am pretty sure the big discounts are to try to keep it moving.

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Final chance for an update is early to late spring. Don't expect anything until next year (if at all).

4. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

The discounts are because it's an almost outdated product. By this time next year it will be unsupported just like the 4th gen unless it gets iOS 9 (unlikely) or by some miracle gets updated.

5. Derwinator macrumors member

Derwinator

The unicorns are bringing the new iPod Touch

>SIGH< We went over this last summer when folks confused the back to school sales with an inventory reduction ahead of a product refresh. Retailers will keep discounting the iPod Touch as needed to help boost the lagging sales. I'm convinced that Apple is done with upgrades for this product and sees the iPhone as its logical replacement.

Many people are still happy with their 5g iPod Touch and there's no reason they can't keep using it for years to come. But if you want a better camera, more memory, faster processor and ability to use future iOS releases, you'll have to start looking at buying an iPhone at some point. They really aren't that bad once you get used to them ;)

6. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

Except the battery won't make it past 2 years at least for me and cannot be changed unless you solder and it's much more difficult than changing an iPhone battery which can be done in 4 min or less according to YouTube and doesn't require soldering.

Eventually the touch will become outdated and you won't be able to use apps anymore because they will be unsupported and will simply cease to function. My 5th gen touch is on iOS 7.2 I think and there are a ton of apps that are already not compatible and will not download to my device.

So if you want to keep using the touch past the seemingly finite 2 year battery life before it depletes to almost nothing you get the privilege of paying $80 to apple to change your battery in an outdated device that you will no longer be able to download the latest apps or app updates on.

I have also owned both 4th gen and the 5th gen touch and both batteries have started to deplete at roughly the same time, so I definitely would not want to buy another touch because the same thing will just happen again. The difference is that with the 4th gen touch there was a replacement now there is not so iphone without the phone here I come

7. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The issue isn't that the battery is soldered in but that the Touch 5 is glued together and is impossible to open without breaking it. Apple charges $80 because they give you a replacement Touch 5.

Much of a batteries life is determined by the environmental conditions it operates under. If you operate it in very cold or hot conditions, the battery life will degrade. I bought my 64GB Touch 5 when it was first released and heavily use it / charge it every day. While not as good as when it was new, the battery still performs well and last the entire day.

Lastly, I only know of one app (game) that will not run on the Touch 5 (as long as you have IOS 8 on your Touch). If you decide to stay with IOS 7, many of your apps will eventually no longer be supported as they upgrade the apps to to run on IOS 8.

8. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

That's because it supports iOS 8. If you update you can use those apps again.

9. 617aircav Suspended

oP by your logic it also means that there are new iPads coming.

10. BOOMSTICK macrumors newbie

BOOMSTICK

There are sales on the iPod Touch all the time.

11. davidinva macrumors 6502a

I have 8.1 on my 5 and it works just fine. Don't know about the battery life, but I have been using it for a year now. Does seem to lose charge quickly.

12. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Doubt there would be any upgrades. Iphone alone can carry Apple throughout the year.

Before, Apple uses diff type of screen for the Touch eg. touch 4, Iphone 4.

Now, i dont think apple would go through all the trouble for bigger screen Ipod touch production than to maximize production capacity on the Iphone 6 and 6 plus.

Btw, u should get the Ipad mini before they decide to go another direction as well.

13. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Haven't upgraded to iOS 8 yet, but did notice my iPod Touch 5 needed to be charged way more often than in the past, although my usage hadn't changed.

I had updated a number of apps so decided to check location services and notifications. Removed a host of apps from notification center, leaving only the apps whose notifications were important to me. That alone has resolved the charging issue on my Touch.