Black Friday shopping?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bigjnyc, Nov 25, 2008.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Being that i work in investment banking and banks or investment banking firms are not allowed to be closed for 4 days in a row I have always worked on black friday, so I've never participated in the whole "black friday" shopping experience. I was curious to know what the hype is all about are prices really that low that people must be lined up at 4am to get in to stores, I mean what are we talking about here 30%, 40% off all merchandise? I'm talking in general i guess not any particular business. I mean I cant see stores taking off more than 10-15% off popular mainstream products, but maybe i'm wrong :confused: the way people talk about black friday you would think that everything in every store is like half off lol. so can anyone clue me in on what goes on out there?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

While I don't work that day, I would never partake. I have better things to do than get in line at midnight on Thanksgiving to save a couple of hundred bucks on some shiny new electronic device. Besides, most of the great deals advertised are for limited quantities.

With where the economy is, you can bet there will be deals to have well after the holidays are over.

3. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

I mostly do the online Black Friday specials. But in store, I seen upwards of 50-75% off on electronics and what not. Mostly see about 30-50% of on mainstream stuff. Hell, NewEgg will be giving away free power supplies...

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Millions of people show up to places to try and get a hand full of so so discounts. With rare exception I think it is cheaper to get stuff online. Take Apple's most likely 10% off, not really a reason to get out and stand in line for a store to open Thur.

Consider yourself lucky. It is a horrible horrible day. I plan on sitting inside and drinking all day.

Black Friday means one thing to Apple users, and that is if you have a problem with your computer take care of it by Wed, otherwise the Apple store will turn into an iPod store, and the genius bar will be where you go to buy more iPods.

I really hate the whole, "OMG! WE MUST SHOP" crap.

5. JLatte macrumors 6502

Hey whatever, i'll be the first to admit it's kind of fun. My buddy and I use it as an excuse to hang out and catch up. Got great deals on external drives a few years ago and his sister wanted a cheap laptop. We were one of the first 25 people in line, we got there at 10:00 pm. Brought a few laptops to watch DVDs on, and 2 bottles of grey goose (gotta stay warm somehow) and we were golden the whole night. I'd much prefer to be in line waiting for circuit city or best buy than, say Walmart. Much cooler crowd, met some fun people.

Anyways, I'm definitely not in the gotta shop mentality, last year I just went to help stand in line and drink. I did walk out of there with a very cheap 8gig USB keychain drive. To each their own I guess.

6. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

I may actually go and sit in line this year, I normally don't. I am an online guy... But my dear and very good friend needs a laptop. So we may go sit in line and see if we can get a cheap laptop. I may just have to put it on my credit card... She will pay me back or consider it an Christmas preset, IDK... Any ideas for the cheapest and best place to hit, still wanting decent quality?