Black Friday?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BJB Productions, Oct 16, 2014.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I'm really close to buying the 5K iMac, but wondered if it's worth waiting until Black Friday. Do you think there will be any deals on them?

2. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

maybe $50 or at most $100 on macs, which might not be worth it ...you are better of getting education discount right now, if you can justify that.

3. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Are Black Friday deals excluding education discount?

ie do they stack or is it one or the other?

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

at MacMall you can get $5 off the Apple list price. The key is avoiding the sales tax on a $2k-4K machine compared to making the purchase from Apple.

MacMall may do ed discount...contact them.

AppleCare is usually cheaper via B&H.

5. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Sorry, should have mentioned I am in the UK, but Apple has done Black Friday deals the last couple of years, other UK retailers don't. I will buy from Apple with an education discount, I just wondered if it was worth waiting for BF.

6. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

one or the other

7. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

If your state has "tax holiday" shopping days that might end up saving you more money than a Black Friday deal.

8. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

As someone else said, one or the other.

On Black Friday last year, you got an Apple gift card for $150 for an iMac. If you're in the U.S. and go with the Educational discount you'll get $200 off the riMac right off the bat without BTO upgrades but you already know that :).

9. idyll macrumors 6502

Do the Black Friday sales affect the Edu discount? Or does the Edu pricing remain the same?

10. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

If I wait until Black Friday, I'm sure I could find a deal that would at least help cancel out the tax.

11. Bryan Bowler, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

BJB,

If you wait until Black Friday, I think you'll be disappointed as there have never been any exceedingly good deals. Yes, you can usually save $100 over the regular Apple store cost, but that is about it.

If you don't qualify for the Education discount, here is a way you can avoid sales tax now (unless you live in NY) and pretty much get the same price as the Education discount. Aside from MacMall, B&H Photo (www.bhphoto.com) will carry all of the different BTO configurations within the next week or so. You can pick out the exact model you want, get free shipping, and not pay any sales tax. Also, Apple Care is cheaper through B&H as well. In case you're unfamiliar with B&H, they are a highly reliable, top-notch store.

Hope this helps,
    Bryan

12. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Bryan - thanks so much for the tip. I don't qualify for an education discount. I have used B&H countless times - it totally slipped my mind since they're in NY I won't have to pay sales tax. I'm definitely going to plan on ordering from them.

Thanks!

13. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Excellent! Enjoy and be sure to let us know what you went with once you've ordered!

Bryan