Black Friday

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jojo13, Oct 3, 2008.

1. jojo13 macrumors 6502

jojo13

Hi, I know the 27th is Thanksgiving and Im planning to be in New York the 28 so I have few questions :

If I want to buy a Mac, will the prices be lower?
    Is it true that they dont charge taxes this day?
    Is it really Blackfriday the day after Thanksgiving

Thanks very much for your help:D

2. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

3. jojo13 thread starter macrumors 6502

jojo13

thx very much
    so they still charge taxes
    so the sale isnt that great? or am i missing something?

4. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

black friday just doesnt seem worth it to me, fighting the crowds, camping out stupid I think. there is a reason its black friday, because it is pure hell!

5. jojo13 thread starter macrumors 6502

jojo13

lol
    so basicly, if we buy a macbook on black friday, were saving around 100 bucks?
    thats it :confused::confused:
    pretty low

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

"pretty low"?

Apple can't decide to just stop charging sales tax, thats a state thing. They're giving you $100 off a computer just for shopping on a certain day, and you're saying thats "pretty low"?

7. Pixellated macrumors 65816

+1 - $100 is 10% off if you're buying an MB....

8. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I've been there and hated that Black Friday thing. Aggrevation, Frustration, Confusion, Disillusion is all I can say about that crazy day.
    Sleep in, save money and watch football seems to be the better choice that day.

9. iSaga macrumors regular

I would gladly pay the extra $100 not to shop on that day.

10. jojo13 thread starter macrumors 6502

jojo13

sorry, I didnt know, I thought there was no more taxes in the state this day(I live in Canada...):p:p

what im saying is that youre saving 100$, but youre gonna be in the store, ther is gonna be a lot of people, you know...
    Like Id rather go on a normal day and have someone to take care of me.
    I just thought it was gonna be more than 100$, thats it. But thx

you two seem to understand my point

Thx a lot to everybody:D

11. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I usually make it out to Staples to get school/office supplies (got a 19" samsung monitor for $100 last year). The apple deals aren't usually that great, but it's still cheaper than any other day. and the newer the models, the less the deal is. And if I remember right, the edu discount can't be used with the black friday deals. So pretty much it's just to get you into the store. However they have pretty good deals on non-apple accessories (speakers, headphones, ipod accs). This is a pretty good place to check on other stores and is updated in the weeks leading to thanksgiving. Sometimes I go, sometimes not it just depends on what is in the ad :)
    Oh and a word of wisdom, NEVER GO TO WAL*MART on black friday!!! it's never worth it!

12. jojo13 thread starter macrumors 6502

jojo13

Thx very much bud
    so i cant even use my student discount...
    so for me, its like any othr day.

And youre saying that if the model is new, the discount will be lower.
    Like if I wanna get the new macbooks, its not worth it. right?:D

13. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

This is all true, last year after the new imacs came out, there was NO discount offered. and in years before that the discount was $50-75 at the MOST. I have a card from '05 or 06 and the G5's were $1299 and discounted to $1199 (that was the largest difference I've ever seen). Now if only we could see the student discount come back to "Hardware" since keyboards, mice, iPods, etc are ALL "hardware." but that's another rant of mine...

You would be better to wait until the macbooks *might* be introduced on the 14th then buy refurb. it's always the best deal :)

14. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

You know, the Black Friday sales will most likely be online too, though I'm not 100% sure.

Secondly, if you know anyone in college or was in college and have a student ID, you can use it to get the $100 off any time, or simply buy a refurb MacBook which I would have done if I didn't get the iPod promo for $899. It comes with a free printer, and Apple Refurbs are like new products (no scratches, etc), with the AppleCare warranty for 1 year, can be extended up to 3.

15. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Yes, Apple does it for their online store as well.

16. jojo13 thread starter macrumors 6502

jojo13

ok thx for everybody
    so i will not buy anything on black friday:D
    ill wait for the ones to come and ill use my student id to get a discount

17. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I've made Black Friday shopping a new tradition the past four years; I enjoy the sport of it and the good prices I get on movies, music, and other misc items.

While Apple doesn't have killer prices for Black Friday, they have some decent sales but also make it easier on the shopper: You can buy online! Last year they had iWork discounted for the day. With the sale price and my company discount I got it for $50. And I ordered it online from a relative's house and had it shipped home for free.

So even if you loathe the idea of BF shopping, check out Apple's deals online that Friday.

18. jojo13 thread starter macrumors 6502

jojo13

thx but the problem is that I don't live in the States. I'm just going on vacation and ill be in NYC this day, so I thought I could get something.
    thx a lot though

19. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Fifth Ave Store ftw :)

Anyway, hope you get your mac soon!

20. jojo13 thread starter macrumors 6502

jojo13

lol
    thanks.