Black gloss on back of 3G coming off...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CKohkah, Sep 10, 2008.

1. CKohkah macrumors 6502

The black gloss on the back of my 16gb 3g is coming off in one of the back side corners up next to my head phone jack.

Has anyone had this same issue? It kind of feels like the black matte slider case, but alittle rougher in feel.

Is this a defect?

Thanks!

2. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

OMG!!! you mean a non-cased phone going in and out of your pocket, with just the little abrasive qualities of the salt and acidic acids from your fingers and the constant heat of being in your pocket is making a clear coat wear off!!!!OMG lets get a recall going:eek:!.......how many cell phones have you had...? get a case dude

3. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

You are right but a phone that has been out for say more than 2 months? cut the guy some slack! the phone should not have to be cased and should withstand at least 2 months of normal use!

4. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

post a pic if you can.

If it's minor I guess it's to be expected. The clearcoat will inevitably dull over time. Peeling is a different issue, but I doubt apple would replace it, I guess no harm in trying though.

5. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Agreed. The OP has a legitimate complaint, IMO. I think he should return the phone for exchange, and Apple should learn to make products that don't start falling apart after a month of normal usage.

6. Tvp125 macrumors newbie

It should not happen so soon I have phones that are years old and have never been in a case and they are still fine. Take it back and get a replacement.

7. reliantj macrumors 6502

lol super sarcasm, i like that.

but yeah i mean you can't blame him for wondering. my ****** old samsung never did that. my Siemens never did that. my sony never did that. so yeah. get an invisible shield or bodyguardz.

8. kleo macrumors regular

If your going to put your iPhone in a case you mine as well get a nokia. The beauty of the iPhone is its design. It shouldnt need a case at all. This is a result of cost cutting by the all mighty :apple: with the decision to use a plastic housing.

9. cenetti macrumors 6502

We all know Iphone 3G quality sucks beyond belief....we don't want to admit it but unfortunately it's what it is. Get a case, and forget about it. In about a year, probably apple will come up with a new one, then you can upgrade it...

10. richg916 macrumors regular

I had small scratches and I used this: http://www.walgreens.com/beauty/product.jsp?CATID=306874&navAction=jump&navCount=0&id=prod3946197

It is for fingernails, but removed the small scratches with the rougher part of the tool and glossed it back up. Not 100% perfect but it's worth a try for a few bucks...

11. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

ok who had a razor? probably all of us. Who had some other "phone of the time" tell me that it still looked fresh outta the box (without casing) even after a week in your pocket....you can't stuff gets old and wear happeneds. does it suck? yeah it does but it is part of life. i am 23 years old and i dont look like i did at 18....it happeneds. if you want a case that looks like it isnt there, check the japanese apple store. i will post photos of the case i am talking about asap.

12. cenetti macrumors 6502

I have a razr from 04, or maybe 05...still in PERFECT condition not one scratch ! and I used this phone until I got 1st gen Iphone in 07.... and my 3G is full of scratches...in less than 2 months....WOW...
    I loved 1st gen iphone...also still looking almost new

Attached Files:

13. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

It might still look good but i doubt that it looks like it did straight outta the box.

14. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

post a picture

i find it weird that a plastic phone would lose its shine

you should try some Meguiars ScratchX ( polishing compound) to get the shine back

15. phannon666 macrumors regular

Legit complaint definitely, however standard rules apply, pics or GTFO.:)

16. ttech10 macrumors 6502

That time of the month for ya, huh?

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Is GTFO the new "or it didn't happen"? :eek:

Would be nice to know the OP's usage habits in depth to see if there was anything unduly causing this, and some pictures, so it's proven the wear and tear has actually happened...

18. ne0star macrumors regular

I'm sorry that is definitley a defect, and I would be returning it.

Using a case is a personal preference, the phone should be far more robust than that without one.

19. theblueone macrumors member

The fact that your iPhone, itself, with a mirror, might be able to take a picture of this "defect," and the fact that you haven't done so makes this post highly suspect!

Hop to it!

20. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Seconded.

21. CKohkah thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm getting there... will have a pic up in an hour or so...

22. Tosser macrumors 68030

Weird.
    I assumed that even the new cost cutting version of Apple would use plastics that we're coloured (as in all the way through) and not some ridiculous glossy paint.