Black horizontal lines appearing on the screen from time to time... :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxap, May 13, 2009.

1. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Hey guys!

I have my MBP Alu since October 2008 and so far I am just in love with the machine.

The only problem that started to appear recently is the black thin lines that appear on the screen for a very short period of time (shorter than 1 sec) and disappear very quickly. Imagine just a very thin black horizontal line appearing in some place on the screen. See the picture, please: http://i43.tinypic.com/2q0vwy9.png

It doesn't happen that often... maybe 2 times in an hour. When it happens, I use the integrated Nvidia 9400M graphic chip. I see it a lot when I use Firefox and listen to the music through AirTunes. Maybe there is a connection between those two things.
    Sometimes I see it just on the desktop without Firefox turned on.

To be honest I start to worry about my laptop. Maybe my graphic card is about to die. I have been hoping that the recent update 10.5.7 would solve the issue, but it is not the case..

Can anybody help me? Should I call Apple? I cannot miss my laptop as I need it now for my study.. :(

2. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

I would definitely give Apple a call, seems like your graphics card may be faulty.

3. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Hmm... what can Apple then possibly do? Are they going to replace my graphic card then or am I going to get a new laptop? I can't sit without it for a long period of time...

4. DYER macrumors 6502

I believe they just replace the entire motherboard normally but don't qoute me on that one

5. ski2moro macrumors 6502

My repair experience for a similar problem

Sounds like a part will be replaced, not the entire computer.

I didn't have the exact problem you have, but this was my experience with a hardware failure on my MBP.

I am lucky enough to live near a store. I scheduled a Genius Bar appointment at apple.com. Because the problem I had was intermittent, I had screen shots available for the Genius to see. He agreed that the part needed to be replaced. He gave me the option to leave the MBP at the store until the part came in and be first on the bench to get the part installed OR to take the notebook home and have it until the part arrived. They would call when the part came in, then I could drop the notebook off, and it would be repaired in a couple of hours (depending on the repair load at the time).

My parts came in in two business days and I was back in business immediately.

I have never had a problem with the Genius Bar damaging my things, but some people have. You might want to photograph the exterior of your computer before they work on it, if you are concerned.

No matter what, be sure to back up your data before you take it in, just in case.

6. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Thanks a lot for your reply. I am indeed very afraid of giving away my MBP as it is in perfect condition and those Apple people can damage it (some scratches etc., I hate those things)

And the idea of getting a new laptop seems like a better plan to me, but I guess Apple isn't going to do it (the Apple Care Protection Plan has been registered for my current laptop with its serial number). :(

7. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

Does anybody experience the same issue??? I am really worried about it...