Black iPhone 5 paint chipping

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LOLZpersonok, May 24, 2013.

1. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I just noticed that the paint on the bottom of my iPhone is starting to chip. Apparently this is common for the black models but still, I've only had the device for 8 days!

I know I didn't drop it or scrape it along anything for that to happen. My case only protects the sides and the back but not the top and bottom.

Is there anything I can do about this? It's only cosmetic but I still don't want it there. I got the phone at the London Drugs phone kiosk that activates phones for all carriers available in Canada.

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i bet youre out of luck. you can try asking apple to see if they think its a manufacturing defect with the anodizing process, but i bet they will say its normal wear and tear. if i were you, i would get a case that better protects the top and bottom. i started out with a case that was like that but quickly realized that it was welcoming scratches and chips in those locations so i got a case that offered better protection.

3. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

yeah, the metal chipped itself. it's not your fault

4. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Anodizing does not "chip" off (it can flake off but a part that is doing that would hopefully NEVER be allowed into the system). Anodizing rubs off with normal wear and tear. The anodizing on the iPhone is not a deep anodizing so it will rub off quite easily. IF you choose not to protect your phone then that's on you. Should the anodizing last longer? Maybe, but the phone is what it is and normal wear and tear is what you're seeing most likely, not a defect.

The ano on my 1911 started rubbing of within and hour or so of holster work. Not abnormal for pistols, def not abnormal for iPhones.

My advice is to protect it with a case or some clear protection like Zagg or Luckylabs offer. Good luck.

No it's called wear..... when you put something in and out of your pocket over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, wear happens. Every time the phone is placed on a surface, wear happens. IF it wasn't like that when purchased, it's normal wear and tear.

5. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Don't worry. I've had a black iP5 and its been replaced by Apple 3 times. Foxconn's horrible QC negates the need for touch ups.

6. cynics macrumors G3

Very abnormal for pistols in an HOUR!

1911 I carried for 1 year and a month holster wear.

[​IMG]

Glock I've been carrying for 3 years.

[​IMG]

Virtually nothing on that.

Are they even anodized anyway?

regardless I feel the anodized process used on an iPhone is subpar. A phone gets more wear then a handgun even by police/swat/special forces/etc so it should be more wear resistant.

Thankfully for me I'm the type of person that keeps a phone till it dies so as long as it works I would care less. Btw the OP is using a case.

7. LOLZpersonok thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I don't see how wear should be possible now. As I said earlier, I've only had the phone for 8 days.

8. wabbit42 macrumors regular

There is no paint. It's wear on the aluminium.

9. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I have my black 5 since launch. No wear. Mint as the day I got it.

except for the dust under the glass surrounding the home button :(

10. AFDoc, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013

AFDoc macrumors 68030

My 1911 Loaded Champion Lightweight has an aluminum frame that is anodized. Your typical steel gun is blue coated or nickle or ect ect. (not sure how the blueing works..... will look it up later) I have a TRP that has very minimal holster marking but I don't typically use that for holster work. As far as sub par anodizing on the i..... you can only go so deep with the anno when doing a phone. Deep = lasting. Industrial anno goes much deeper into the metal than you can do on the iPhone r/t the material thickness. Can't do an industrial style anno job on metal as thin as the i has.... just can't do it.

Didn't notice OP said he had a case.... BUT notice the case does NOT protect the bottom. Every one do something for me......hold phone as using and place it in your pocket. Notice the top/bottom edge is always rubbing against the fabric (if not protected as OP's is not)? Now do that several hundred times a day (as I'm OCD I probably pull my phone in and out of my pocket at least that much). Friction = wear = anno rub = normal wear and tear. (appears bluing is a process much like anodizing.... very interesting.)

LoL... really? See my above statement.
    I had looked it up a bit but thanks for the info... very interesting.

11. Charadis, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013

Charadis macrumors 6502a

Bluing is a "rusting" or oxidizing of the surface of the metal, much like anodizing of aluminum or titanium. There are three types of bluing: 1.) hot bluing (strongest, but more work to do), 2.) rust bluing, and 3.) cold bluing (quickest method, but weakest). Iron based metals and stainless steel can be blued, aluminum and titanium can be anodized. Bluing does not required electricity like anodizing does. Sent from my iPad

I should add that the quality of the bluing is also dependent on how deep the metal is "rusted" blue just like how deep the aluminum is anodized, in addition to the method of bluing used.

12. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

same issue as you...i even have scratches on the button that I can feel with my nails. And my nails are always short. Gotta be from the dust.

Anyways I dont really care bc Im not losing my jailbreak over dust and scratches. But I will def replace before upgrading :)

13. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

It surprises me that we continue to hear complaints about such a widely known issue. Even just examining the iPhones at the Apple store for a few seconds will make it quite obvious that the black shows scuff marks very easily.

14. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Yeah. Home button all scratched up.

15. kjb0419 macrumors newbie

The same thing happened to mine!!!! I had it get a small amount of something sticky (seriously a TINY amount) I quickly cleaned it with some windex and the paint chipped right off. I remember I got some glue on the bottom of my old 4 (long story, haha) and I cleaned it off with no problem. Pretty stupid.

16. Partridge macrumors 6502

Any surface treatment, no matter how hard, is only as strong as the material underneath it. A good anodized coating will help with normal wear, but anything strong enough to damage the soft aluminum leave marks or scuffs.

It's just something you have to live with. The phone is made out of soft metal. Pistol slides like the glock are steel. Huge difference in harness and weight, and even they show wear.

It's like a new car. Just get the first few scuffs in so you can relax and enjoy it and not worry about parking in the far end of the lot or spilling your soda.