black keyboard on white macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 5spoke, Apr 25, 2007.

1. 5spoke macrumors newbie

Has anyone ever put a black macbook keyboard/topcase onto a white macbook? I am seriously considering doing it, because im tired of the dirt and grime on the white. I dont think it would look to bad either, black and white go well together.

2. JohanVild macrumors newbie

3. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Those look pretty good.

6. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Yeah, the White MB with the black top/keyboard looks very good. Surprisingly good!

7. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I happened to put one together at work a few weeks ago. We had a white Macbook in for a new top case and had a black one on hand; and to make sure that the top case was the only problem we placed the black top case on top of it. Oh and just so you know, just like the flickr photo as far as I know only the top case can be replaced, not just the keyboard because of the design. Very nice. If I ever got a Macbook [which I don't plan on] I would at some point have to get myself the opposite colored top case.

Then, just to see how cool it would be we placed a black battery in the white macbook too.... pretty damn cool; however, while the black macbook doesn't show dirt like the white one, the matte-ness of it does wear out and the keys/palm rest wear out and become shiny in a way from oils in the skin.

There is another option for you though, there are glow-in-the-dark [just the keys?] keyboard/crumb catchers from iSkin and for further protection for the trackpad, mouse-button, palm rest, lid, and if you get the full shields, bottom and battery protection as well@ShieldZone. These things are essentially a plastic "shields" that go over the specific areas and provide a [lifetime?] protection against scratches and wear. You can search ShieldZone for cheaper shields that only come in 3 or 4 parts for limited protection. I highly recommend the shields for every iPod and cell phone you own unless you're prone to dropping everything you carry in your pocket because no amount of covers/cases will help you.

P.S. there are also leather and hard-cover cases you can purchase from DrBott.

8. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

9. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Wouldnt that void the warranty? :D

It does look cool though. I'm thinking about getting a TiBook keyboard and swapping the keys with my iBook keyboard.

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

Not if you wait one or three years, depending.

11. JMC2008 macrumors newbie

Black Keyboard on White Mac. = Sweet.

....I just did it today for the same reason. Looks sweet.

I have 3 yr Apple Care on this and had it done by a authorized reseller and service provider. I just called them after getting a little freaked out by the post seeming to say that it may void your warranty?

According to the Mac Store here it does not void my Mac Care. But then again it cost me $223.00 to have them do it, and I believe I can sell the white version that I have know - on Craig's List or Kijiji. Since the part is actually the whole top - track pad and power button - that means I should get about +/- ~$130.00 or so out of the perfect white top I have as the part alone is/was $157.00 today. ($$ Canadian here in Halifax NS).

JMC

12. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Doing this would definitely void your warranty. Even if you swap out one key on a white MB with a black key, and your hard drive dies, then they can deny you coverage since you have "tampered" with the machine; even if it is completely unrelated to what you did. It could go either way, but don't expect them to cover the machine even though, "it's just one/two/however many keys you swapped out".

99% of the time keys don't just fall off, so you probably won't be able to make that claim as to the reason some keys are swapped. You might be able to say that the current MB you own replaced the previous one you had that broke, so you decided to personalize it by swapping out keys. I imagine still, that depending on what "genius" you get, they could still deny coverage.

If you swapped out the entire topcase then there would be no debate as you have obviously opened up the machine. If it was done by an authorized repair center, Apple could still deny coverage, though you could claim ignorance, or if you had proof that the provider told you it would still be covered under warranty.

At my job at an authorized Apple repair shop, we would advise customers who, still under warranty, wanted to install a larger drive in their laptops to keep the old drive just in case. If they needed to send their machine off to Apple, we would install the old drive back in so they wouldn't be denied coverage based on non-original hardware.

*This is all considering you go to Apple. If you go back to the authorized provider that replaced your topcase, they can still perform warranty service for you. As long as they don't need to ship the laptop off to Apple (which happens), they can perform all the repairs in house, and Apple will never see it. What they don't know, won't hurt them, and personally I don't think it's a big deal. If we ever did upgrades or customizations like this at our store, we told people that that, "it just depends whether or not Apple will consider the warranty voided for this. If you have a problem, just come back to us".

13. applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

Just for durability

The only reason i want a black top case for my white macbook is because the black plastic is better quality than the white and will not chip after some time.

Anyone with the older white macbook will tell you that their top case, on either side of the trackpad, right where the lid clasps shut, is cracked. Yes, Apple acknowledges the design flaw & will fix it out of warrenty, I just don't want to deal with it.

14. TheScotsman macrumors newbie

TheScotsman

Black MacBook with White Top Case and Screen Bezel

I had the opposite problem, I work in a dark environment and always had trouble seeing my black MacBook keyboard in the dark, plus I had the same cracks from the lid closing on my black top case, never any problems from my white MB yet. My black MB is already out of warranty so I ordered the white top case and screen bezel off eBay for $50 and did the inside with white. It's not that hard to keep clean, just use a Mister Clean Oxi-Pad and wipe it off very lightly, dirt comes right off, don't rub too hard though. I originally did white keys on my black MB but I love the look of this and very happy I did it. I think your white MB would also look nice with the black inside if you can see the keys with no problem.

I realize that this has already been done and shown on this forum but just wanted to add my two cents worth...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

???

You must close the lid REALLY hard then. The black macbook IS made of better quality plastic.

The top case for the white macbook is made of cheap plastic like for toys.

Do you like, slam the lid shut or what? :confused:

16. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

They are actually made of very similar plastic. It is just that the black plastic on MB's crack over a longer period of time vs. the white MB.