Black lightning connector with exact dimensions of Apple's

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by PatrickNSF, Apr 18, 2014.

1. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Is anyone aware of a black lightning cable with a connector that has the exact same dimensions as Apple's? I'm using a Pro Clip holder (link below) in the car that has a socket for the lightning cable to snap into, but it's designed for the exact dimensions of the Apple connector. It's working fine with the original Apple cable, but I'd prefer black so that the cable and holder are not as noticeable when I park on the street. I've tried a couple, but all of those have been too large. Thanks for any suggestions.

http://www.proclipusa.com/phone-hol...e-attachmen-514436-19369.cmsv?p_leftorright=0

2. syobwoc macrumors member

syobwoc

Awhile back I purchased the Apple leather cases for my iphone 5 and with the case I couldn't use my black amazon basics lightning cable since it didn't fit. But what I was able to find out was that the outer housing on the amazon basics cable is just a plastic shell. With some patience and a small screwdriver you can pry it off. And you're left with a lightning cable housing not much bigger than the lightning connector and fit the case perfectly and works great. :D There's still a plastic around the lightning connector so you won't get shocked or anything. I don't see any wire at all. If you want I can take a side by side picture of the apple lightning cable and the amazon cable. Hope this helps!

3. PatrickNSF thread starter macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Thank for the info. It would be really helpful to see a photo of both connectors side by side. There doesn't seem to be any leeway in the cutout of the ProClip connector, so the dimensions probably need to exactly match.

4. syobwoc macrumors member

syobwoc

I took a couple of pics. I lightened them up to get a better shot of the width. Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

5. PatrickNSF thread starter macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Thanks. With some trimming, I may be able to get that cable to work.