Black Lightning to Female 30pin cable?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by UmichAg, Oct 7, 2013.

1. UmichAg macrumors member

I'm looking for a black (to match the interior of my car) cable that can connect an iPhone 5s to Volkswagen's 30pin connector. I've looked all over and can't find one. Another potential solution is a black cable that has a Lightning (8-pin) connection on each end. I also haven't seen such a cable.

Has anyone seen either?
    Thanks!

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

3. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I'll let the OP try it.
    :)

5. UmichAg thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I saw those. I was actually hoping for a 4' long version. But I might have to resort to that.

Thanks

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The one that I bought (not from this seller but it looked identical) passed audio just fine.

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Really? Without another Apple adapter attached to it? I'm somewhat surprised, since I didn't think anyone but Apple was making audio-capable lightning to 30-pin adapters.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm glad someone else is making them as well.

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Well it might depend what you mean by passing audio.
    My car stereo has a USB jack right on it so I used to plug the standard 30-pin Apple cable directly into it and I could play and control the iPhone from the car stereo.
    Then when the iPhone 5 came out I used the adapter above with the 30-pin Apple cable to do the same thing. No problems.
    Maybe this isn't passing analog audio but since the OP was asking about a converter for his car I assumed he was in the same situation.
    Maybe his car setup does require analog audio and if so, then this might not work.
    ???

10. UmichAg thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, my car has an input for a 30pin connector. Unfortunately, VW hasn't (and doesn't seem to plan to) released a connection for Lightning-based devices. Right now, my set-up is to run a black female 30-pin to male 30-pin cable along the black paneling (so it's not noticeable) so I could connect my old iPhone 4s. Now that I have a 5s, I'm looking for either a black Lightning-to-30 connector or a black 4' long Lightning-to-30 cable. And it would be nice if they could support audio in addition to power. And it would be nicer if Apple would recognize the market for such an accessory...

11. alFR macrumors 68020

Would this be any good for your application? Converts 30-pin in to a Bluetooth connection. Available on amazon (at least in Europe). If you need power on longer journeys you could just use a cigarette lighter > USB charger, if you're on a shorter run just flip Bluetooth on and leave the phone in your pocket.

12. UmichAg thread starter macrumors member

I am already capable of sending audio to my car via BT. I'd like to be able to connect it via Lightning-30pin so that I get get better audio quality as well as charge my phone.

I did order that accessory suggested in the 1st reply and I'll post back here and let people know if it worked

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Yeah, I meant analog audio. Digital audio is just USB data so active circuitry conversion isn't necessary. Apple's 30-pin connectors has separate conductors for analog audio which are obviously not present on the lightning connector.

14. UmichAg thread starter macrumors member