Black lines all over macbook screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by soccerash21, May 15, 2012.

1. soccerash21 macrumors newbie

Hi guys-

So recently my Macbook has developed black spots and lines all over the screen. I have never dropped it, but I bought it in 2007, so I know it's not the newest computer around. I really don't have the money to get it fixed by apple, nor do I have money to buy a new laptop. I linked a picture of what it looks like. Just wondering if by looking at it anyone can see what might be the problem? Someone told me it might be the graphics card, and someone else said the screen itself might be the problem? Any ideas? And is it worth it to fix??

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z323/soccerash21/photo-11.jpg

2. simsaladimbamba

That looks like a broken LCD. Are sure it never has been dropped or something heavy has been dropped on it?

[​IMG]

Examples:
    Anyway, it needs a display replacement, maybe you can find a guide on iFixIt and also the proper parts and search ebay for it.

3. soccerash21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know for a fact that I myself have never dropped it. However, I do have a younger brother, and I asked him and his response was of course no- but then again he's 10, so he very well could be lying. I'll have to look into trying to find a replacement then- are they expensive? Thanks so much!

4. simsaladimbamba

Depends on the model and the availability. You could have it for 120 USD or for 400 USD.
    Do you have some kind of home insurance, or your parents? When my iBook's screen got damaged by water, insurance paid for the replacement of the screen, which was around 500 € (including work).

5. soccerash21 thread starter macrumors newbie

My parent's have home owners insurance- seriously? Why in the heck would they cover my broken laptop? Wouldn't I have to prove it was an accident or something?? I didn't know home owners insurance would cover things like that-

6. simsaladimbamba

Look at the details of that insurance, and since it can be seen as an accident, as it probably was your brother (or pet?), something like this should be covered.
    But then again, it depends on the insurance your parents have.

7. SEGeologist macrumors member

Your machine is in the time period of some faulty graphics cards. First thing is to see which video card you have.

Second, try booting from the apple hardware disc and see what the tests show. If the GPU is at fault one can simply call applecare and they will set-up a replacement shipment.

Third, is to have a ASD diagnosis ran on the machine. This is done if the previous testing did not show anything. But with the GPU maybe being of concern, I would go in and use that line as a reason to replace the unit.

8. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

The patterns displayed look far more like physical damage/failure to me. Switch off the computer and have a look in strong light - can you see cracks or leakage of fluid?

Also, if you have insurance, I would be very wary of claiming unless the bill will be so big you can't possibly afford it. You'd probably be looking at both an excess to pay, and hiked premiums.

David

9. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Broken screen.

I saw the same thing when a friend forgot he had a pencil sitting on his keyboard and closed the lid.