Black lines around opened files

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tintenter, Feb 16, 2014.

1. tintenter macrumors newbie

For the past couple months, occurring sporadically a few times a week, when I open a file there are numerous black lines of varying width around the opened file. In the attachment you can see 2 thick black lines at the top of the file, 1 thick black line below the file and multiple narrow lines on the left and bottom of the file edges. Once they appear on 1 file all the following files I open will have these lines. If I restart the laptop they will go away. Any ideas? I have a MBP 15inch, mid 2010. OS X 10.9.1. Thanx, bj

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

Do they appear in a screenshot?

Do you mean these lines?
    [​IMG]

What happens if you close the Finder window or switch to another Desktop?

3. tintenter thread starter macrumors newbie

The attachment was taken with my iPhone and downloaded to my laptop. I have not tried taking a screenshot. bj

4. simsaladimbamba

The picture I attached to my post has some areas of the photo highlighted. Are those the areas or black lines you talk about?

5. tintenter thread starter macrumors newbie

The lines you outlined in red are what I'm concerned with. I'm not very knowledgable about computers. When I see this occurring I restart the laptop. bj

6. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

And then it's fixed?

7. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

I have the exact same thing on my machine occasionally. It's like the drop shadow around a window corrupts and displays artifacts. Switching dgpu fixes the problem, but it kills battery life.
    I hope someone here has an awesome fix for us (they always do!).

8. tintenter thread starter macrumors newbie

Restarting does fix the problem. When the problem starts - any file I open will be affected. There is no predictability as to when this will occur. bj

----------

What is "dgpu" and how do you switch dgpu? When I described what was happening to a coworker who is experienced with Macs he thought possibly my video card may be going bad. I sure hope not. bj

9. simsaladimbamba

dGPU stands for "dedicated Graphics Processing Unit", which is the Nvidia GeForce 330M GT in your 15" MBP.
    Have you tried gfxCardStatus[/URL] is the tool to manually switch GPUs, as you also have an integrated graphics processor (IGP), the Intel HD Graphics, inside your Mac.