Black Macally Bookstand

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Gameaholic, May 12, 2010.

1. Gameaholic macrumors member

2. jedolley macrumors 68000

3. rcx1 macrumors newbie

From Macally Europe, I got the following message:

4. Macdicted macrumors regular

I do !

For those of us that arent intrested in reading 288 posts about a grey cover that we dont like , its nice to know about the black version.

I may consider the black , had no intrest in the grey. :rolleyes:

5. jedolley macrumors 68000

:rolleyes:

The Macally Bookstand thread is not about it's color, but about the case, and peoples experiences. If someone was interested in the Macally Bookstand and thought to themselves, "Hey, I wonder if it comes in Black?", they could have used the search feature in that thread or in this sub forum.

If you really think it's necessary, then I guess we can create threads for each color of every iPad case. ;)

6. Gameaholic thread starter macrumors member

Well, if you want to get technical, say i type in black on the 290 post thread and find every post with the word black. I would not see the posts where people are commenting on the black case without actually saying the word black though. For example, " I heard its coming out in late May". And yes i know there is a giant thread about the stand that dates to months ago. I'm just interested about macally black and there is only possible two colors for the stand. Anyway, i hope it will come out within these two months, looks VERY cool.

7. azboricua macrumors 6502a

azboricua

WARNING: Avoid Macally. they say they have these in stock, you place your order and never get the item to then be told it is on backorder. They later place fraudulent charges on your card. It has happened to 3 people already. DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM!!!!!!!!!!! One person had $2,400 charged on their card.

8. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

9. Macdicted macrumors regular

I'm not saying we need a thread for every color but I've seen the Macally and didn't like the fact it was only in grey. I read the review when it was new and didn't like the color but liked the function.

Like I stated .... I wouldn't of known to go there and read 300 post to see if a new color had been introduced :rolleyes:

So while you may not agree , I found the thread useful.

And honestly don't care what you think ;)

10. pjbugs007 macrumors newbie

Order with caution with this company...I had my card compromised, and they do not have the cases in stock these people will give you the run around for weeks...just giving you all a heads up.

11. Gameaholic thread starter macrumors member

It's finally out! Anyone ordered it yet? Reviews?

12. cmascatello macrumors member

I ordered it when it came out and only later was informed that the case was not in stock. I am willing to give them a brief benefit of the doubt, but I'll be checking my AMEX every day for phantom charges.

FWIW, the quoted ship date is 6/30.

13. TheLee macrumors member

macally sounds super sketchy. there are reliability problems with the gray one, so i can't imagine they fixed it with the black one. plus, do you really want to risk the credit fraud and the hit to your credit rating?

14. Gameaholic thread starter macrumors member

Well you dont have to buy it directly from their site. There are several other sites that sells the black bookstand.

15. macwheels macrumors regular

I'm having trouble finding any vendors other than Macally who have the *black* Macally BookStand. Can you point me to one?
    I also wonder if possibly I could use a pre-paid "Gift Card" (such as are sold by Wells Fargo, American Express, etc.) in place of my actual credit card to purchase directly from Macally, since I have taken note that several people have found fraudulent charges on their credit cards after ordering directly from Macally... yikes! These gift cards are supposed to have the same number of digits on them as credit cards do, so I would hope they would process -- does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks a lot!

Macwheels

16. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Do NOT under any circumstances buy ANYTHING from Macally's site! Using a prepaid gift card or one-time use card numbers will NOT protect you from the fraud that is going on with their site. The problem is that when you give them your credit card number (ANY card number) the first charge against the card will be a fraudulent charge. You never actually get charged for the Macally product.

Be patient and wait for the black model to appear on other sites. I own the grey one and am quite delighted with it. It is worth the wait.

eBay seller "nakedcellphone" (144,000+ 99.9% positive feedback) is selling the black version $55 w/free shipping.

17. TheDramaLlama macrumors newbie

I love the black one! Got it in the mail an hour ago! It's great and worth the wait! Compliments the iPad very well!

18. macwheels macrumors regular

Yay, I found the black Macally Bookstand online at MacMall for $36.99 + shipping!

http://www.macmall.com/p/MacAlly-Pe...inter-Stands/product~dpno~8058227~pdp.gaifbha

(EDIT - if the link above brings you to MacMall's homepage, instead of directly to the webage for the Macally Bookstand, you can hop to that page by typing the MacMall part # into the search window on the upper-left corner of the MacMall homepage: the part # is 8058227. )

Agreed, DramaLlama :) I ordered & received 2 of the black cases -- no drama with my credit card from MacMall, so far ---whew!

I too really like this case, although I will say that it is more beautiful than durable -- the materials really are inexpensive & will not stand up to abuse like a well-made leather folio would. The black microfiber surface absolutely collects (& shows) every white speck of dust possible. Since I just got my 2 cases today, they still look very pretty, but I will not be surprised when they no longer look like that ;-) Now I understand why this case was first offered in grey -- it will NOT show white specks of dust :) even if the light color is not as dramatic as the black.

The best thing about this case is the VERY slim profile -- I believe it is noticeably less bulky than even the Apple folio case-- and the fact that the entire face of the iPad is unobstructed. This really makes a difference in appearance -- and also in that it does not collect dust at the margins of the screen, as happens with the Apple case. When I removed my iPad from the Apple case to put it into the BookStand, I had to wipe off a few weeks' worth of accumulated Schmutz that had gotten trapped at the edge of the screen :-o

All that being said, I am quite happy with this case, knowing that (unfortunately) the case itself is going to require more babying than the rubberized Apple folio... I will use it carefully until I decide on a more expensive leather folio -- likely the Noreve case.

Macwheels

19. Gleemen macrumors regular

I bought the black one yesterday from Macmall. Can't wait to get it!

20. macwheels macrumors regular

:D
    Macwheels

21. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I ordered the black from OnSale.com yesterday, I thought. but got an email confirm from MacMall. is it the same co?
    I bought from OnSale before and got invoices marked OnSale.
    confused, as mostly always.

22. Gleemen macrumors regular

Got my Macally case today from Macmall.com. Love it so far. Here is some pics

Attached Files:

23. gigaguy macrumors 65816

hmm, mixed thoughts on the black I got today. I had probably one of the first grey versions a month ago and sold it.
    the front flap on the black seems like about half! as thin as the grey front flap, and even more flimsy, very disappointed in that. The grey felt thicker and more solid. The front panel material flexes easier than the Apple case and is very bendable. the strap is thinner too, and flimsy, and you can't force it in the buckle like on the grey one where you could push it in using the front flap. This case is THIN, it's almost closer to a skin that a case. I prefer the similarly thin apple case because the material is much sturdier.

It seems like they cheaped out on us IMO. It's odd, cause I know that was a complaint by some on the grey. If you think it was flimsy, don't get the black. I was really surprised and disappointed.
    I don't see the black being near as durable. too bad, it's a nice looking case. anybody else see this difference?
    For $42 total shipped I wanted higher quality.

24. Autokon macrumors 6502

Autokon

25. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Thanks for posting that. Very good review of the case.