Black Macbbok freezing during video playback

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by yoder141, Jul 20, 2009.

1. yoder141 macrumors newbie

I have had my black macbook for a little over 2 years it is a c2d 2.16. It has ran flawlessly until recently it has been freezing during video playback. Mostly during online streaming like hulu or netflix. The screen usually gets these little red or green dots all over it when it happens. A couple times the the sound continued but usually it stops. What is going on? It has happened almost every day for a couple weeks now. I am running the latest version of OSX
    Any help will be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. yoder141 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope definitely not my internet connection because the screen gets all messed up like in the pic. Plus i have a 25 mbps connection

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It does sound like the video is pausing while it buffers some more - maybe it is a server-side issue.

5. yoder141 thread starter macrumors newbie

maybe i should be more specific by saying the entire computer freezes and not just the video. I can usually move the mouse but that is the only thing not frozen. I have to completely power down the computer and sometimes it doesnt turn back on for a couple miuntes.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Then it sounds like the video card is failing, since it is part of the logic board - that may have to be replaced. Do you have AppleCare?

7. yoder141 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I dont have apple care. How much might something like that cost to get replaced? thanks for your btw

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

9. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

Looks like a logic board issue to me. The freezing looks similar to a problem I had with a video card in the past. I would suggest taking it to the Genius Bar for a proper diagnosis.