black macbook (2.0ghz) and mirroring question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iag48, May 5, 2009.

1. iag48 macrumors regular

I just received a new LG monitor with "full HD", max resolution 1900 x 1080. When I mirror the display with my black macbook (gma950), the mirror on the monitor is only 1600 x 1900 and the sides are black. If I go to the display preferences and change the monitors resolution to 1920 x 1080, nothing changes, it remains with the black borders.

However, if I turn off "mirror displays" then the monitor switches to its max resolution 1920 x 1080, which looks amazing and fills up the whole screen.

So is the macbook only capable of outputting 1920 x 1080 when NOT in mirror display mode? Or am I missing something here.

Thanks.

P.S. why does the audio come out from the macbook instead of the monitor speakers?

The macbook is connected to the monitor via dvi-hdmi.

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Don't know about the first problem, but DVI doesn't carry audio, so get some external speakers.

3. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

HDMI will only give audio if you have it connected directly into an hdmi port. The dvi port on the macbook doesn't send out audio signals, so no mnatter what adpater you use, your not gonna get audio without another audio output.

Edit: man you beat me to it.

4. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the fast response.

Regarding the resolution problem...I'm starting to think the mac is not able to display 1920 x 1080 on an external monitor.

Damn this sux.

5. noelpilot macrumors newbie

Quoting...thanks for the fast response.

Regarding the resolution problem...I'm starting to think the mac is not able to display 1920 x 1080 on an external monitor.

Damn this sux.

Not quite correct, the limitation is in the macbooks own display. That's the bit thats not able to display full 1080 HD. From your original post it appears the graphics cards in the macbook is capable of driving an external display at that res (excellent news as thats what I was looking for when I found this post) so when you've got it in mirrored mode then the res reduces to the max the macbook display can handle, when you put it in spanning mode then they both go to their max resolutions independent of each other.

Does this make sense?!

6. LurchNC macrumors regular

When you use mirroring, it has to use the lower resolution of the two displays you are using. If you have a laptop with a max res of 1280x800, then when you mirror you are limited by that resolution on both screens. When you span, both monitors can be set to their max resolution.

It works the same way on the Mac Pro. I have a 22" and 24" screen. When I choose "mirror" it forces the 24" down to the res of the 22".

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

This is all it is OP.

In mirror mode, you won't get a full screen fill because the MacBook has a 16:10 ratio resolution/screen whereas your TV is 16:9 in terms of aspect ratio. Extended desktop mode is the only real way to get a full rsolution picture on the TV.