Black Macbook 2.4ghz (early 2008) REPAIR

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rohan.shah020, May 17, 2011.

1. rohan.shah020 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have a black macbook 2.4 ghz c2d in for repair right now. This has been a very bad experience since I have had it repaired probably 3 or 4 times in the past year for various issues. Issues as follows:

1) the cooling fan was extremely noisy - fan replacement
    2) chipping of case on palm rest - casing replacement
    3) overheating - another fan replacement
    4) now, the screen has black dots, areas of extra brightness, and vertical lines on the screen sometimes and the bottom casing needs to be replaced again

It has been in repair since the 9th. What should I do? Should I ask for a replacement if it fails yet again after I receive it back? Quite frankly, I've lost hope. If I do get a replacement, will they replace it with a unibody macbook or a macbook pro, since I paid extra for the black model and it was a higher speck than the white macbook. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, please tell me if you've had similar experiences :apple:

Thanks,
    Rohan

2. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

if cosmetic damage i never care.

LCD is problem tho

btw, fan problems?

reset SMC and PRAM, and clean the fan= $0

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I'd keep sending it in for repair while increasingly showing you concern about the entire problem. Replacing with another unit altogether would be great if they did that for you, however the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

I have a 2.2 blackbook and the fans run loudly a lot when cpu intensive tasks are going on, however I haven't really cleaned them yet so I'll make a note and do that sometime soon.

4. synth3tic macrumors newbie

That's pretty rough... I definitely feel you on the repeated problems. I initially went in due to the backlight not working, and ended up having my 2.4Ghz Blackbook in repair for basically an entire month, give or take a day or two between going in each time.. It'd be awesome for them to give you a new laptop, but what are the changes of that happening? How does that work? Not a rhetorical question, I'm actually curious about this.

Though, I agree with the above poster, I'd just keep going in and make it very apparent that they haven't done an awesome job the past few times..

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Well they'd definitely take the old broken one... but I'm sure that they would try to remove the hard drive and put in your old one... as weird as it sounds, it would make sense for them to gut the "new" one they would give you (probably a refurb) and input all of the working internals from the current one.

Of course this would be a lot of work but at most they would lose out on a case, an LCD, and whatever internals they couldn't remove from the broken MacBook.

Of course they'd probably go for a baseline MB.... unless your parts were higher.

6. rohan.shah020 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help, guys! I sent it in to Apple, and they tried to pull a fast one, by requoting and saying the dots on the screen were from accidental damage... give me a break! I baby my macbook and plus, the dots only showed up when I recieved my macbook back from repair a month ago (hence, why I had to send it in yet AGAIN). Anyways, they said they'd waive the charges. I should get my macbook back tomorrow. I think they probably replaced:

-the logic board/graphics card
    -screen
    -bottom casing
    -palm rest

After all these issues, I am kind of hoping hat it fails just 1 or 2 more times, so I can request a replacement ;)

Cheers,
    Rohan :apple: