Black MacBook 2008 - worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by markeemarc21, Mar 8, 2011.

1. markeemarc21 macrumors newbie

markeemarc21

Hi,

There's a listing on craigslist for a used Black MacBook. Here are the specs:

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
    160GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

It says that it needs a new logic board (which, according to the poster costs around $300 through a repair shop). The poster is asking for $200.00. Do you guys think it's worth it? The other parts are relatively unused.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's sounds fishy. The 2.4 Black MacBook came with a 250 gig hard drive and 2 gigs of RAM. I would walk away on that basis alone. Sounds weird.

3. markeemarc21 thread starter macrumors newbie

markeemarc21

Good point! I asked the poster and he said that it came with the 250GB HD and 2GB but that he installed it on his girlfriend's mac. I got him to lower the price to 180, trying to get 160 out of him. Still a good deal?

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Why bother with that one when you can find black MBs that work properly in good shape for $500?

5. markeemarc21 thread starter macrumors newbie

markeemarc21

I have a bum Black macbook with the same make/model as the one selling. Our specs are nearly identical except my logic board works. everything else is broken.. for 180 i figure why not? I don't do too much heavy lifting on the mac anyways. just ms office and internet browsing (i'm a grad student)..

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Probably got the years mixed up. The 2007 black MacBook came with those specs. But regardless, I know sub-$100 is looking cheap but I don't think it's worth to buy a broken computer and then go through the time and trouble to fix it, especially a broken logic board.

7. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Thought of the OP this morning. I had read this yesterday. There's black MacBook with a broken logic board on the Marketplace thread here, which would be a whole lot more legit and safe than that eBay one. :)

8. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

I wouldn't risk it. I've been taken advantage of in similar situations, for sure something else is wrong that you can't figure out until the logic board is fixed.