Black Macbook 8gb of Ram

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nick Herd, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Nick Herd macrumors newbie

Ok so i read everywhere that 6gb of ram was possible in a black macbook the last model made the summer of 2008. So what i did was 6gb worked with a 4gb and 2gb chip but i don't want to lose dual channel. So i bought 2x4gb chips installed it and got 8gb somehow to show on my laptop :D. thing that sucks is that it works for about an hour then all the sudden get really laggy and either freezes or gives me a weird power symbol. Now i know that the firmware update allowed it to go from 4gb to 6gb and I'm pushing it by installing 8gb but i don't care for the extra 2gb that i get i only put 8gb because i wanted it to have 6gb showing with dual channel. Now what I'm asking is how can i install the 8gb of ram on my mac and tell the computer to only read 6 and dump the other 2 so it doesn't crap out likes it been doing because it works fine with a 2gb and 4gb =6 but i lose dual channel and 2x4gb shows up as 8 but I'm hoping that if i tell the mac to see only 6 by either allocating 2 of them someplace else i won't have freezing problems please let me know if you guys know any solutions i know this may not make to much sense. At the end of the day i want 6gb of ram with dual channel. Nothing more nothing less.

Thanks guys

2. alexpja macrumors member

You can't (and does that weird power symbol show you text in Chinese and Korean and French and such? That's a kernel panic, caused by the RAM chips).

3. session101 macrumors regular

black macbook

just get 2x2gig matching sticks of RAM and be happy

it runs faster than having your 6gig of ram with 1 stick of 4 and 1 stick of 2gigs