Black Macbook and iSkin

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBookfan, Feb 22, 2008.

1. iBookfan macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Hi

I'm going to get a black macbook next week. I've heard that it really easy gets "oily". I've brought a iSkin for it, but was wondering about the heat. Will it be able to "breath"?

2. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

3. greenday123 macrumors 6502

yeah its gonna be fine. i have a blackbook with and iskin on the keyboard and ive never had an issue.

4. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I have a new blackbook picked up in the last few days and the quality has greatly improved from the first oen I had when they first were released. That one was a grease magnet and I sold it quickly. This one I have used and is not noticeable at all. There are the odd grease marks, but nothing as bad as my last machine.

5. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Okay. Thanks. I looking forward to recieve my stuff. I've also brought a Palmguard for it from Moshi, but would only use the trackpad + button film, and not the "plam-rest"-part.

So I should be covered for the "greasy" problem :)

6. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Why? You're wasting money in that case. Just put the whole thing on and your Mac will be protected for years.

7. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Well I know, but does'nt it looks silly? - I mean, you can see that it is on, right?

8. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

I have all installed on a MBP and you can't tell unless you look very closely. The Moshi color match is right on and the iSkin is clear.

Now I don't worry about keyboard wear or paint issues on the palm rest.

9. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Do you use a iSkin for the keyboard? I've just ordered a LogicKeyboard skin for my BlackBook and was wondering about the heat. Logickeyboard recommend that you don't leave the skin on while its closed because it might cause into heat issuse. Have you noticed anything? Or maybe I shall just forget about keyboard skins an realize that it's a computer and not a museum.

10. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

I don't have any heat issues leaving the iSkin on all the time.

I don't sleep my MBP because it's a notebook and I am usually using it and then securing it for travel or from the family pets.

My computer doesn't vent through the keyboard. I can not speak for the Macbook personally, but it sounds like some other people haven't had heat issues in some of your earlier replies to this post.

11. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

No, thats right, but I'm very carefull about my mac :). I think I'm just gonna install the Moshi-stickers and leave the keyboard be a keyboard. Now I have ordered and can later install it if I want. But eventully all keyboards gets greasy right?.

12. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

I'm not sure what the keyboard thing is you ordered. If it's a form fitted silicone skin, you should be able to tell right away if the keyboard is getting hot. It will get warm.

If it was me, I would be more concerned about the keyboard wear than the palm rest and stuff. The keyboard is where all the lint, crumbs, dust, etc. get into and the hard place to keep clean. The cover allows me to take it off, wash with regular dish soap and water, dry thoroughly and the keyboard looks brand new after 4 months of heavy use.

With the silicone skin, I have had no issues with marking my screen either. Just keep it cleaned regularly and all has been good.

13. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Its a silicone skin. Here is a link: http://www.logickeyboard.com/shop/default.asp?SetLng=2&BypassShopClosed=1 (and under "protection skins"

Well okay, but as you've said, I don't know if the MB's coolings system uses the keyboard

14. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

Apple sells the silicone iSkin at their Apple Stores. I would imagine they are safe to use if they are selling them.

15. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

16. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Yeah, you might be right. If Apple sell them, then they should be fine.

17. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I have the Moshi Palmguard and it blends in so well, you can't even tell it is on. I use it and the button cover. I tried the trackpad cover and had it remove it after a day. It was not sensitive enough for my liking. It felt like I was dragging across it. It was also a clear plastic and I didn't like the look of it. The Palmguard and button cover really look nice. I really can't even tell they are there.

18. iBookfan thread starter macrumors 6502

iBookfan

Do you have the black model wiht palmguard? What about closing the mac wiht the palmguard? Or is it so thin it does'nt make a diffence. What about the look of the palmguard vs. the rest of the black macbook. Is there a difffence or is it the same. Maybe you could post some pics? Can you see the trackpad-film? Isnt it invisible? Do you use something for your keyboard and how does it look? Oily?

I've read somewhere that it was only the first models of the black model who attends to get greasy and oily. Can anyone confirm that?