Black Macbook and Min-DVI to Video Adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by deyve.M., Feb 29, 2008.

1. deyve.M. macrumors newbie

Hello all, I am new to the forum and have tried searching out the answer to this question. I would appreciate any help.
    I have a black intel based macbook, with the core 2 duo processor, and I recently purchased a mini-dvi to video adapter, so I could watch dvds on my tv. My television is a 27 inch sony flat screen, about 4 years old.
    The issue I'm having is with certain widescreen dvds. When I attempt to watch certain dvds using my macbook and the Mini-dvi>>>video adapter, the black lines on the bottom and top of the screen double in size. There are the original black lines that border the top and bottom, but they are doubled in size by dark blue, very dark blue lines. They almost blend, but you can tell where the original lines are and where the dark blue ones start. They literally double the size of the border lines. If you select dvd menu, the menu shows up on the screen with normal size borders, but when you select to watch the movie, the lines double in size, as I stated, with the normal black lines, and with equal size dark blue lines to accompany. I can't say for sure that any of the picture is actually cut out, but the border lines are noticeably thicker! You can tell where they're "supposed" to end.Is this normal, some dvds don't so this.
    Any help would be appreciated!

2. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Sounds like the movies with the extra blue lines are letterboxed twice. Maybe you could toggle the widescreen/standard aspect ratio on your TV? (Sometimes it's called "zoom" on the remote/OSD.)

3. deyve.M. thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know if my tv has a widescreen/ standard aspect ratio. It's not an HD television, or flat panel. I will look into it though. Some widescreen movies look fine, with normal size lines, like "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence" looks fine, but I wanted to watch "Gangs of New York" last night, and I got the 2x lines. They're regular dvds, not HD. Do you think it could be a setting on my macbook, or is something up with my video output?-Thanks

4. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Whether the movies or your TV is HD or not isn't relevant here.

Letterboxing is used to allow widescreen movies (16:9) to maintain the same aspect-ratio when viewed on a standard (4:3) TV. If there is no letterboxing, then the widescreen movie is shown in the form called Pan-and-Scan.

Edit: There's another widescreen aspect ratio, the 2.39:1. This is almost "double-wide" compared to the usual 16:9. It's so wide that on a 16:9 widescreen TV, some letterboxing is needed! It could be that some of your DVDs are in this 2.39:1 ratio, therefore seeing the double letterboxing.

Hope this helps!