Black Macbook and Sony Bravia 40" HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nauzerlvr, Mar 1, 2008.

1. nauzerlvr macrumors newbie

My first post here, so, first off, hello everyone!

I just bought the black Mac Book, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and nave 4 GHz or RAM. I bought the MiniDV to VGA adapter and made an attempt to hook up my 40" Sony Bravia to the laptop. It works but the picture is small in the center of the TV. I tried other resolutions but nothing seemed to help.

All my HDMI inputs are being used and I thought since it had the VGA port, why not try.

Am I wasting my time and should I try an alternate route?

TIA everyone.

N

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

that might be the best your going to get because the macbook doesn't have the supported resolution you need to fill your screen. a macbook pro on the other hand would. i could be wrong but i think there really isn't anymore you can do

3. nauzerlvr thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I was afraid of that. The Macbook I have uses a chip set rather than a graphics card. I sold my Powerbook to get this one. I thought about trying to use one of the utilities like DisplayConfigX or perhaps SwitchResX. Anyone think that route might work? If not then I can still live with it. Doesn't hurt to try though.

4. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

It could be a settings thing. My mac mini uses the full area on my Sony 40" HDTV - just worked like that out the box so I couldn't offer any ideas on how to get it working though.

5. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

try playing about with the settings on your tv?

6. nauzerlvr thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that and using the additional resolutions by "gathering windows" but still nothing. I just bought the MiniDVI to DVI adapter and the HDMI cable and will try that.

7. CKtoph macrumors 6502

A VGA output to your HDTV won't do anything. Any movies or pictures will produce terrible quality regardless of your settings on your MacBook. Keep in mind that VGA outputs are analog and not digital.

Your DVI output will give you the digital signal you are looking for. It should give you up to a 720p display. The MBPs will support up to 1080p.

8. Redline13 macrumors 6502

I have used both the VGA out and DVI out on my Macbook to connect it to my HDTV and there is no difference in quality. The VGA connection actually offers me more choices of resolutions so I can get a picture that covers the screen from end to end. The original poster should give it a try.

9. pattman247 macrumors regular

first of all, all these people are wrong :D (sorry lol)
    the macbook has a mini-dvi connector which is basically a single-channeled dvi connection. This port can output to a display up to 1920x1200 pixels, which is what the 23 inch apple cinema display has and is also higher than all the 1080p displays on the market. The reason why it's higher is because there is more room on the top and bottom for the computer's operating systems taskbar.

The MBP on the other hand has a full-sized dual-channeled dvi connector. This can output to a display up to 2560x1600 pixels, the 30" apple cinema display. The MBP goes higher than 1080p.

I don't know why your television doesn't support all the pixels your computer is outputting to it, since both VGA and DVI support 1200p. Maybe fiddle with your television settings I don't know.

People saying the macbook has bad graphics capability is wrong. The intel gma950 and x3100 are both optimized to fully support quartz extreme and hd video. I did a test where I unloaded 8 quicktime divx movies at once, and used expose to see them all at once. All 8 movies were being played back at 24fps :eek:. The more I added later on, the slower the fps got overall. This is again probably not the chipset's fault, but the 5200rpm harddrive inside the macbook. I will try to play 8 movies, and perhaps 4 over the network and see if I get the same results. This was on the 2.16ghz macbook with gma 950 and 2.5 gigs of ram. Ur computer has more memory and a faster processor, so I am pretty sure running ONE 1080p movie will not be a problem.

For the record, 720p is 1280x720, and the macbook's 13 inch screen is 1280x800, so it can obviously run more than that.

10. sealab2021 macrumors member

I had something similar when I tried to connect my MBP running Vista to my 1080p TV. From what I read, there is no fix for it yet. I'm not sure if that is similar, but I thought I'd offer it up.

11. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I had a similar problem using with my Macbook and Samsung TV. I found that if I played with using either the 'clone' desktop or the 'dual' desktop abilities (option+f7) I could fill more of the screen using the 'dual' desktop ability.

12. CKtoph macrumors 6502

I really don't see how this is possible. I've worked in settings where I've utilized both as well (albeit not on a MacBook, but still on the same PC) where the VGA output was clearly lesser in quality than the DVI. Purely by working mechanics, I don't see how you are getting no difference in quality from an analog versus a DVI signal. Keep in mind, I'm not trying to argue a point, but I'd be interested to know to what capacity you are making the comparison to equate the two signals.

Oh and my previous post was a little misleading...for some reason, I added the fact that the MBP supports up to 1080p while the MB supports only up to 720p. What I meant was the native resolution on the laptop itself, not the output :p

13. pattman247 macrumors regular

dvi is obviously the better choice, only because it is all digital. The signal outputted is only 1s and 0s, so the quality wouldn't change depending on the cable, analog signals do

14. MasterMacBook, Mar 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

MasterMacBook macrumors member

15. MasterMacBook, Mar 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

MasterMacBook macrumors member

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

OP, hook up your Mini-DVI adapter to your VGA adapter...

on your "beautiful" Sony Bravia LCD 40" (I have the same one), then turn on your MB, press "menu" on your Sony remote, select "external inputs" select your "PC" which should be "Video 7" and your "desktop" should appear. If it doesn't appear then go to "Displays" under "System Preferences" and select "Arrangement" and ensure that you check the BOX for "Mirror Displays" and you are good to go. You'll get the "FULL SCREEN" of your desktop as it looks on your MB (your display resolution should be set at 1360 x 768, but you can set it to whatever you like). After all, it's your MB and Sony Bravia LCD 40" TV! Enjoy; I've been running my MB/BlackBook to Sony since last year August! PM me if you like. :cool::p

17. nauzerlvr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll try it again tonight and report back.

18. bunzwsu macrumors newbie

I have a black macbook. What I use is a mini dvi to vga and from the vga to the vga on my TV. I have a 50" Pioneer plasma and it filled up the screen fine even when i play a movie. Like the earlier poster states you just need to fiddle around a little to make it a full screen

19. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I second that Motion...

I've used my MB/MBA/BlackBook in this same manner for my Sony Bravia LCD 40" and the campus overhead projectors without a "hitch." Feel free to PM is you should have any further problems. :cool:

20. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

the MB does not support anything over 24 inches i believe

21. pattman247 macrumors regular

like i said earlier, its not a matter about screen size, but the number of pixels. the macbook supports dvi and vga (both most common computer connections), and the macbook outputs to both 720p and 1080p (and interlaced) with both these connections. You can plug ur macbook to a 42", 80", whatever you have :D

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I have a 40" Sony Bravia LCD and a 32" Sony Bravia LCD...

and they are "perfectly" supported. See attached photos! These were taken with my iPhone and uploaded to my BlackBook 2.4 Penryn 250GB for your viewing pleasure. These are from "Black Hawk Down" from iTunes Movies, while the 1st pic is my Desktop on my Sony Bravia LCD 40" TV. Any questions??? :cool::p

Attached Files:

23. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

but how?

24. pattman247 macrumors regular

on a macbook, if you set the display preferences to mirroring mode, you only get 1280x800p resolution, which means if you have a 1080p television, the picture will be either stretched to the full display, or scaled and centered

25. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

so what do you set it to?

how about on a MBP