Black Macbook Audio Issue!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jtmx29, Sep 19, 2010.

1. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

My friend has a Black Macbook from a couple years ago and is having audio issues. The computer is fully updated and has been rebooted numerous times.

The problem is that the Mac's volume won't work. When she presses the volume buttons on the physical keyboard there is a gray circle with a slash through it that appears on the screen. She has tested headphones and they work, but not good quality wise. The audio output and speakers are set up correctly in System Preferences (I compared them to my MBP).

Also, there is no digital out or red light coming out of the port, so nothing is stuck.

What should she do, is this hardware failure?

2. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Take it in to an Apple Store. It may be out of warranty but if they can fix it quickly, they will.

3. eman macrumors 6502a

When you went to the sound section, are your "internal speakers" listed in the sound output section and digital out is not listed there?

4. jtmx29 thread starter macrumors regular

jtmx29

There is only Digital Output in the box. There is no internal speaker listed. I've read that a sensor is stuck and is making the mac output digital. There is no red light shining through the port however. Also, the macbook is out of warranty by like 2 years.

She tried the toothpick trick and nothing worked. Any help is appreciated.

5. eman macrumors 6502a

So, the digital out is working and not the internal speakers, I can only assume the red light has burned out and that is why the light is not on.
    Most likely one of your micro switches in the external headphone jack is malfunctioning. If you look inside the headphone jack you will see small metal micro switches. You can try to use a toothpick and move the switches and see if you can get your internal speakers working again. Some people will plug a headphone jack in and out repeatedly to try and get the switch to work. It's not really a sensor, it's a switch in the headphone jack.