Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
I have a new apple battery that's been fine for months, but now it won't stay in tight enough to power or charge. If I "slam" it in hard enough, it will charge, but as soon as I let go of it it stops. Which part do I need to purchase to fix this, and is there any way to MacGuyver around it???

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a new apple battery that's been fine for months, but now it won't stay in tight enough to power or charge. If I "slam" it in hard enough, it will charge, but as soon as I let go of it it stops. Which part do I need to purchase to fix this, and is there any way to MacGuyver around it???
Sounds like you either need a new battery, or the casing needs to be repaired where the battery connects. If you take it to Apple, they can probably tell you what's required. Then you can figure out what you need to do from there.

TurnTronics

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
Sounds like the battery latch on your MacBook might be defective. Unfortunately, if this is the case, the entire bottom casing needs to be replaced to fix this issue. I would recommend taking it to the Apple store for them to look it. They will diagnose the issue for free and let you know your options.

If it is indeed the latch and you don't want to pay for a new bottom case, you could try taping the battery in place to see if that helps. Best of luck!

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
Thanks. i took it apart yesterday, all the way down to the battery connector. I removed it and then just put it all back together again, making sure everything was firm. Now it's working. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it from here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.