Black Macbook Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by phractured, Jul 1, 2009.

1. phractured macrumors newbie

I have a very bad habit of constantly leaving my mac charging. I like having it plugged into the power adapter when I am not using it. Unfortunately, just like all my ipods, my macbook's battery is less then optimal. My friend with the same macbook gets 5-6 hours of battery life. However, my computer gets 2 maybe 2 1/2. I am wondering what I can do about this? Thanks guys and gals!

2. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

3. phractured thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this normal though? I bought this computer about a year ago and I have been having these issues since december. Why do apple batteries suck :(

4. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

How many cycles does your battery have? And what about its maximum capacity?

You can check those informations in System Profiler or by using Coconut Battery, a third party utility. That will tell us more about the current status of your battery.

5. phractured thread starter macrumors newbie

Copy and pasted from the profiler.

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Judging from the data you posted it seems your battery original capacity is 5020 mAh and you still have 5043 mAh (which is good, considering you have cycled the battery 134 times).

Now it may come down to two main reasons for the short time on battery: the indication above is not correct (you should calibrate your battery if you haven't already, that way the mac will know how much charge really left; Apple has step by step instrunctions on their site) or you are using software that is making the mac consume more energy (intensive CPU usage, ...).

Give Coconut battery a try, it will show the status of the battery graphically:

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

7. phractured thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, i'll try calibrating it. Thanks for the help.

8. rd261 macrumors regular

Check your cpu usage. There may be a program running in the background using your cpu and therefore reducing your battery life. Also, how long the battery lasts depends on what you are doing. For instance mine lasts approximately 5 hours when working with ms office and doing light web browsing, but it only lasts ~2:30 when watching youtube videos or hulu.

9. phractured thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that would explain it then, usually watching videos it lasts a short time.

10. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Remember also that if you still have AppleCare you should be able to get your battery replaced.

11. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Not in this case, however; your battery is fine.

I have found that Apple's batteries last longer than the competition. But that's just me.