black macbook buying questions and confusions... newbie

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thasan, Nov 4, 2007.

1. thasan macrumors 6502a

hi guys,
    im sure my questions have been answered in the forum but seems i cant find any concrete answer.
    this is my first thread so please, bear with my questions :eek:
    ive been using windows since '96 and after a long hesitation, I would like to switch with the new MB refresh and leopard. :D

but i have the following questions:

1. does the black MB has discoloration issue like the white one? it seems the white one gets err.... yellow very quickly? ive read that black MBs scratches look worse but i promise to keep my MB in sleeve to take care of scratches.

2. i will be having 3 yrs warranty from HE store but ive read somewhere that apple doesnt cover "cosmetic problems". am i right?

3. i have read that black MBs have this grease issues in keyboards and touchpad and some ppl suggested that it might be possible to clean them completely while some suggested they cudnt. any practical experience with this fingerprints on the cover and on touchpad/keyboard?

some less important questions:
    4. for apple warranty, do i have to go to the apple stores to fix things if something goes wrong? how long does it take? do they give back the same day or will have go again to pick it up? i will have to go to regent street, uk one :rolleyes:

5. what does this mean? what is uplift of contract? any idea?? :confused:

EMEA CC-HE contract uplift MacBook/iBook

6. i thought iwork is free with MBs. is there any change in the policy? :confused:

7. for standard projectors, do i need to buy that mini dvi to vga adaptor?

thanks a lot for your patience and help. :)

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If the issues are manufacturing defects they are covered. If they are wear and tear or damage (of any sort) through use (dropping, scratching, etc) it's not covered.

Yes you have to take it to an Apple Store. How long they keep it for will depend on the issue. There is no guarantee of same-day return.

This has never been the case. It has always been a cost option. All Macs ship with an iWork Demo.

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Although the iBooks did used to ship with iWork. However, once the macbooks came out, that was done away with.

4. pscoble macrumors 6502

They shipped with AppleWorks not iWork big difference there.
    And for some answers. You get a mini-dvi to VGA adapter in the box, The Black MBs do have that grease issue but usually you can just wipe it off and your fine, The Black MBs also defiantly scratch LESS because its a matt finish for the case rather then the Glossy finish that the whites have. Hope that helps a little bit.

5. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

Yes. Most projectors I have ever used with my lappy require a VGA output. Some projectors have dvi, but for the most part you should have a dvi to vga adaptor just in case. I use projectors at school and church quite often, and all of them require the vga output.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

True enough, but at least there was some kind of productivity suit that was included. Although I swear one of the iBook gens shipped with iWork (maybe the second to last?).

7. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

No, you don't. The MacBook Pros ship with a DVI to VGA adaptor, however.

8. thasan thread starter macrumors 6502a