black macbook has firewire 400 port?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bob2131, Dec 17, 2008.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

hi, i have a black macbook, the one just prior to the new ones.

I know it has a firewire port, think its 400 port, but not 100% sure.

I need to buy an external hard drive for pro tools, so need to make sure if its firewire 400 or 800 port.......

Anyone confirm please?

Much thanks.

Best to get a drive with its own power supply ? Or one that runs off the macbook? ..... both usb ports are being used already..... maybe a firewire drive running off macbook also would be a little too much for macbook to handle?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The BlackBook definitely has FW400; I used to own one. Although if you get a drive with FW800 and USB as well, like the Lacie Quadra, then it might have a little more versatility and a longer life. Powered too, no need to rely on powered ports.

3. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks.... so youre saying get a drive with its own power supply plugged into wall socket? rather than run off mac internal firewire bus?

4. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

They both have pros and cons.

The ones that run off bus power are usually 2.5" laptop drives, so they are a tad slower and won't last as long (on average).

The wallpowered ones are usually 3.5" desktop drives, which are faster, more rugged, and will on average last longer.

So I'd get the wall powered one (A WD MyBook recommended), unless you plan on being away from outlets most of the time.

I would definitely rather keep backups on a 3.5".

5. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thankyou.
    yeah ill go with power supply unit...... its just for home use really.....

ive been looking for one for DAYS..... im really struggling.....cant find a compatible drive in UK.

it has to be oxford 911 chipset, 7200rpm, firewire 400, 9ms seek time.
    pro tools reaquires this....... some good sellers in usa, but i wanna go with uk based for coupla reasons.

seagate external firewire look the biz, but i cant find info on whether they include oxford 911 chip....thier site is down.......

cheers

6. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

The Freeagent XTreme has an Oxford 911 chip, and the Freeagent Pro has some other Oxford chip.

http://tinyurl.com/5hbsgg

I assume they have the same names in the UK.

7. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

you got me exited there!

are you sure freeagent xtreme has oxford 911....????

the site you linked....ive been there several times....and theres no mention of the 911 spec......... even the pdf does not mention it.....

8. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Sorry my error, I probably shouldn't come to conclusions based on the preview text in Google searches ;)

This thread should help you:
    http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=232932

Cheers

EDIT: Is that your thread? It was only posted last week.
    I spent about 20 mins searching, and found nothing in the UK :(

The OWC Elite seems to be a good Ox. 911 case.
    (This time it really is a 911, see http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/firewire/OWC_oxford911/OWC_oxford_911_casekit2.html)

Can't find it in the UK though.

EDIT 2: The OWC does not include a drive, you'd need to put your own inside if you managed to track one down. I recommend WD for drives.

Sorry I'm no help :p

9. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

no, thankyou so much for trying.... appreciate it..... yeah im pounding and bashing hard on pro tools forums too...... yeah OWC is perfect..... but american based...... wanna try UK first...... for coupla reasons..... as im in uk....

WD? those are the worst ive read on audio forums....one guy said he had 5 WD drives fail in 5 years!!

ok thanks again for looking!

10. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Really? I have about 4 WD drives from 1998 (10 and 17 giggers) that still work great, I also have some from 2005 or so which are also still working. Plus a few MyBooks and a Passport.

I have however had bad luck with Maxtors.

Never really used Seagates.

I guess the conclusion is all hard drives are exactly the same, and its weather you get a good one or a lemon.

11. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah all have diff stories...... im just hearing off the audio people, who smack the drives hard with intesive audio editing/recording/playback.... that WD are weak for that kinda work...... as normal storage they should be fine im sure..... hit and miss tho too...... and eveyones environment is diff...temperature wise...... proably many factors at play....

i just bought a G-TECH G-DRIVEQ 500GB...... has all the specs i need.....
    fingers crossed it shall be all good. arrives tmrwo.

cheerio.

12. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Shweet.