BLACK MACBOOK, how much??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by volitalis, Oct 24, 2009.

1. volitalis macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

Absolute Apple noob here, so need some help! My Windows Dell died last week after 4/5 years of faithful service and I'm now looking at updating to a mac. I want to get an imac in the new year, after I've saved up BUT I also want to buy a macbook.

A friend is selling a BLACK MACBOOK with the following spec, and I want to know what sort of price people think I should pay for it? I am also eligible for student discount so I could get a brand new white macbook for around £700.

Black Macbook:

2.4ghz, 4gb ram, 250gb HDD, OS X Tiger

Thanks for your help in advance

Volitalis

2. Stiss macrumors 6502a

Not a bad specced machine!!

I love BlackBooks and I'm guessing its Intel so could update to Leopard and Snow Leopard.

I'd pay £500 for it but no more because it's second hand.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

ALL macbooks are intel based; plastic portables with the power pc chips are called iBooks.

Try www.mac2sell.net to get an approximate idea of what the blackbook is worth. Nice looking machines, but they're lacking in the video card department; they've either got intel gma950 or x3100 integrated graphics.

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

yeah 700 sounds about right for that, but let me warn you, the old plastic macbooks tend to scratch easily and get hairline cracks in a short amount of time. so i suggest buying a used aluminum macbook. and also why would your friend want to sell his wonderful machine? probably because it broken.

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

No, he's saying £700 for a brand new Whitebook online, he's asking us how much a Black Macbook of the spec stated would be worth realistically...

I'm seeing a couple of blackbooks go on eBay for around £600 which is quite expensive if you ask me. I'd say £500 being the max i would pay for one of the blackbooks sounds a good deal. Try and get it cheaper though since he's a friend ;)

And also try upgrading to Snow Leopard if you buy it.

6. molala macrumors 6502a

That's the last revision Blackbook. I have the same. I would also say maximum £500, £550 if it still has AppleCare. Otherwise, I would just get the new MacBook with the student discount (don't forget to add AppleCare which would only cost £46 at the time you buy it).

7. volitalis thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi macrumors-ers again,

The guy selling the Black Macbook dropped out annoyingly, so have been on the hunt again and have managed to find one! How would you mac veterans price this macbook...

White Macbook
    2.0ghz Penryn
    2GB RAM
    120 GB HDD
    Nvidia 9400m 256mb
    10.5.6 Leopard
    With 5months applecare left, with possiblity to purchase extended warranty.

I've been offered £500 and have accepted, but do you think its a good deal?

Let me know,

Thanks

volitalis

8. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

That's a brilliant deal, accept and enjoy! :) I'd upgrade the hard drive and ram yourself if I were you, but in your own time. I have that same machine, it's brilliant.