Black MacBook installation issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by T87, Jul 15, 2012.

1. T87 macrumors newbie

I updated my MacBook to lion and it was freezing lagging a lot. At one point it froze to the point where I had to shut it off from the power button. When turning it back on I got a flashing folder with a question mark in it. Since I didn't have a physical cd of lion I tried booting it up with snow leopard.

Everything goes smooth until it gets to the actual installing parts and stops at 30 minutes left. Then something pops up saying "osx could not be installed". I went to disk utilities to check the hard drive and everything is good and it comes back verified. Could the RAM be the problem?I tried every reset code possible. And trust me when I say I looked all around the forum. This has been going on for 2 months and can't seem to find the answer to my situation.

Can it be that I'm getting false feed back from disk utility stating that there's nothing wrong with my hard drive? I don't know what else it could be. I never dropped my laptop before and took very good care of it. I'd really approximate the reply from you guys. I'm definitely dead stuck on this issue right now. Thanks

----------

Appreciate not approxamite.. Sorry :)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The flashing folder icon points to a dieing hard drive. Disk Utility can be wrong about a failing hard drive. If you haven't already backed up your data, you should do so while the drive is still alive.

3. T87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks intell. I thought about replacing it anyway. Do you have any reccomendations for a new hard drive? I found a few reasonably priced on amazon. Also if it's made for the MacBook wood it recognize osx when I try to install on the new hard drive?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I use a Seagate Momentus in my Blackbook. It's fast and quite. When installing Mac OS X you'll have to reformat the drive for HFS+ install Mac OS X.

5. T87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for all the questions. I'm not a tech buff, but are their any instructions or videos on how to reformat the hard drive. Also if it helps I'm not concerned about losing any data on the computer because I have everyhing on a pc.