Black Macbook internal HD upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Big Shisha, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Big Shisha macrumors member

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The first HDD (640GB) will work.
    The second will not, as it is 12.5mm high, and your Mac only accepts 2.5" S-ATA HDD/SSDs with a maximum height of 9.5mm.

3. Big Shisha thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, so basically as long as it will physically fit in the macbook I can use it regardless of size in GB?

I'm not a fan of WD drives, so I'll try and find another one that fits the bill, any suggestions?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, as long as it fits in (height no more than 9.5mm) and the interface is correct (SATA).

WD is the dominator in +500GB HDs, I'm not sure what other manufacturers have them

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Read Post #9 and #15 and you know everything about upgrading to a recent hard drive. The only thing that is limited on your MacBook is the physical height of the hard drive which fits inside there, to 9.5mm. If it's smaller than 8 billion TB, which you won't find until about the year 2070, it will work fine in your MacBook. If you're no fan of WD, get the Seagate Momentus XT - or wait a bit and get the Seagate Momentus 7200.5 750GB drive. Furtherer explanations on these drives are inside the thread.

And WDC isn't really the dominator in +500GB anymore, Seagate became that with their latest products. All other manufacturers than these 2 are not competitive at the moment in the 2.5" 9.5mm hard drive business, at all. Hitachi quitted the 2.5" business officially, Toshiba has no 750GB 9.5mm drive, nor fancy SSD-cache, Samsung doesn't manufacture 2.5" 7200RPM drives.