Black Macbook makes squeeky noise on hinges.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ronaldcastillo, Nov 6, 2009.

1. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

My macbook tends to make noise when I close it, this only happens when my mac is heated up, and it disturbs me because I bring my macbook to school and it's embarrassing when your mac makes those noises. Is it because of the screws? My contract is out of date, and I don't want to attempt anything.

Also, my macbook been dropping connections since I upgraded to Snow Leopard, will 10.6.2 be able to fix this update?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's normal. I wouldn't do anything unless it's causing you to have trouble closing the lid.

Hmm...I haven't upgraded yet. I'll let you know what happens when I do.

3. ronaldcastillo thread starter macrumors 6502a

It isn't normal, this hasn't happened to me for the past 3 years.
    How can it just happen now, when your saying it's normal?
    It isn't a sound coming from the computer software,
    it's coming from one of the parts.

4. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

My hinges got squeaky like that, and then one of them broke. Apple wouldn't cover it under warranty, and it really sucked. I hadn't abused my macbook in any way, I use it all the time and travel with it and stuff, but it's always protected and never dropped or anything.

5. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

If you have Applecare, take it in to an apple store or send it in to Apple to have them take a look at it. If not, you can always take it to a AASP and have them adjust it too.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Its pretty normal... My school white MacBook does it...

7. boston44 macrumors 6502

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Is it squeaky or more like a click or a snap? If it's the latter, get it to an Apple store ASAP.

9. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

My BlackBook from '07 has had a squeaky hinge as long as I can remember.

I leave mine open all the time when it is on the desk, and I don't take it around a whole lot, so it doesn't bother me greatly. If it annoys you, squirt a small amount of WD-40 on each side of the hinge, open and close it until the squeaking stops, then wipe all the excess away with a cloth and then polish the macbook clean with a microfiber cloth. Be sure not to let it get into the vent on the back.

10. ronaldcastillo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Today I went to the Genius Bar to let them take a look at my macbook. About the wireless connection they said that it would cost me $300 to fix it. As I called Apple Care, they're charging me for free even though I've been out of warranty for a month now. This is why I love Apple. :apple: