Black Macbook Minor spill--> louder fans?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Chaser7, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Chaser7 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So I have the 2.4 Ghz, Blackbook (Late Feb/early March '08 I think the last revisions until the completely new designs) and a few days ago I spilled a small amount of water on the left palm rest, but some i think a TINY bit spilled on the keyboard too. Now it seems that my Macbook is running louder than normal as it used to be near silent when I was just merely web browsing/itunes/ichat/mail. Now there is a definite hum I think. Do you think the spill had anything to do with this? Or is it just because I've had it for over a year now? Or am I just imagining this? I mean my computer temperature is still just 52.0 C right now, but the fans are going 2210 RPM. I don't know what their RPM was before the spill, but my computer definitely seems to be working louder.

Thanks

2. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Its nothing to worry about. I use SMCFC to set my fans to 2200PRM when the computer is charging to save my knees the pain of the battery heat. A small amount of water would have dried by now at any rate, so chances are you may be more worried than needs be.

The only issues that might arise would be if it were a heavy mineral water (say if your local tap water is high in iron or something) or if you were drinking a fruit water with sugars in it which can corrode computer parts.

Other than that, unless there are any obvious symptoms of system malfunction, the computer itself is probably fine.

3. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

I agree with the poster above, if your computer were actually damaged, you'd have a lot more issues than the fan running at a little higher RPM's. Also, just to let you know, my computer (nVidia Whitebook) is currently running at 2000 RPM's at 53 degrees C.

4. Chaser7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure it was just normal tap water, but I can't really remember.

I also forgot to mention, that a couple weeks before I spilled some water in between the spacebar, the command keys and the mousepad. It wasn't too much, but nothing seemed to wrong with the computer. I turned off the computer, wiped up all the stuff, and tried turning it back on. I forgot exactly what happened, but at first I thought my computer was broken (it either shut down by itself or it went to this weird screen when I booted up), before finally turning normal.

Everything worked fine except I do think the fans started to flare up louder than they used to, but only when I was doing labor intensive stuff (like videos on youtube or photoshop etc.) So maybe thats contributing to the problem?

I swear my computer used to be almost dead silent when I wasn't doing anything besides safari/itunes/mail/ichat, and wouldn't get super worked up on youtube videos (although it did slightly). But the computer has shown no other signs of not working. Still it sounds like there'd be more serious signs of water damage if it actually had an affect. So you guys are saying, that the fans were always like that then? I know I'm an idiot, I didn't spill once in my first year of having it and then spill twice within a month. I've learned my lesson either way.

Also SFMC (or whatever that program is called) didn't work for me, so I had to use another fan control application. Right now my base RPM is 1500 and Lower threshold is 50C and Upper is 80C. Right now my computer is roughly 55C, and the app says my left fan rpm is 2151 rpm and right fan is -1. That doesn't make any sense. Should I change my base RPM to 1000 to see if that makes my computer more quiet? Will that have any negative effects? Should I change the thresholds?

Thanks

5. Chaser7 thread starter macrumors newbie

anybody?
    Sorry to bump, I just got no responses to my last question, if anyone could help that'd be great, Thanks.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

if you're really concerned about it, crack it open and replace the fan.

7. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

To be honest there is no way for anyone here to be sure. Water can basically be the equivilant of taking two random wires and connecting them together. That being said, water is prob the best thing you could spill. If I were in your position I would probably be imagening all kinds of bad things happening that really weren't (like fans being louder). Basically not a lot you can do now other than hope for the best. Good luck!