Black macbook, new 2.0 Macbook or 2.4 Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maddie80, Oct 20, 2008.

1. maddie80 macrumors newbie

I got a Macbook with the 2.0 processor yesterday, and got it home only to discover to my dismay that the computer is not level, so every time you put your left wrist down to type, the computer clicks and rocks slightly. Needless to say, it's going back.

What I can't decide is whether or not I should bump up to either the 2.4 aluminum macbook when I return or try to get my hands on a black macbook from BEst Buy. The black macbooks are so solid, and for the same price as the 2.0 aluminum macbook, I could get the 2.4 processor and the 250 GB hard drive? I still can't figure out for the life of me - it seems like the aluminum macbook with a 2.0 processor, but 1066 bus would be comparable in speed to the 2.4 processor with 800 bus, right?

I'd be grateful for any advice!

2. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

There is no right answer b/c all of them are good machines. Yes the 2.0 has a 1066 bus and the black has the other one, but benchmark tests show the black one beating it by 15%-25% (depending on the specific test--about 20% overall better). The new 2.4 and the last gen 2.4 are almost the same. The new one is about 5-7% better.

The screen and graphics are better of course on the new one. As far as aluminum or black that is a personal choice and whatever people say there isn't a right or wrong answer.

Good luck with your new computer.

BTW here are the benchmark tests on what I was talking about.

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2008/10/macbook-and-macbook-pro-performance-october-2008/

3. maddie80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm.... That's a hard call. I'm so sad about the form defect in the aluminum macbook I got - not up to snuff for mac, IMO.

I use my laptop heavily for work (which is mainly just office software, internet based programs) and also for family photo editing, etc. I hope to get a little handycam in the next year or so for short family videos of my son. Given that, I'm not sure what would be the best buy for me.

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Get the Black MacBook because you may need the Firewire port - I don't know how many USB Camcorders are compatible with iMovie '08.

5. maddie80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm.... I just discovered the mac clearance site too, and wondered if maybe something like this clearance Macbook Pro would work better?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB133LL/A

Sigh. See, if my macbook hadn't been defective, I never would have started looking around like this.

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I heard that ALL the nVidia 8600M chips are defective, and companies had to fix them in software (throttle down the chip so it doesn't overheat). Many had to be replaced.

If you trust the 8600, go for it...

7. maddie80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I didn't know that. :( That doesn't sound good. Sigh. I was all set to buy last week, if the new MBs hadn't come out, I wouldn't have this dilemma. :)

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I say buy your camcorder first, then take it with you to the Apple store to see if the new MacBooks work with it.

I would try to get a new MacBook if you can as I heard they're great. I'm going to the Apple store right after work to see them.