Black Macbook No OS

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shibbiness, May 3, 2011.

1. shibbiness macrumors newbie

Hey,

I have a black macbook I got from someone, and it has no operating system. I don't have the original CD or anything, and I figured I can't just go buy and use snow leopard.

How would I go about getting snow leopard in the macbook?

I'm assuming I have to get Mac OSX Leopard first, but the apple store didn't have it.

Any ideas on what to do?

any help appreciated thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

Just get the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD for 29 USD, no need for Leopard, as the Upgrade DVD is a fully working RETAIL version of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, thus it needs no prior OS on the Mac to be installed onto.

3. shibbiness thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh snap, really?
    I went to the apple store, and he said that I would need to pick that up after I got OSX from somewhere?

4. laudern macrumors 6502a

5. shibbiness thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh you gotta be kidding me. I went all the way down to the apple store to pick it up, he told me I can't.

Just to be clear before I go again tomorrow, if I get the $29 Snow Leopard DVD, I can install it on the macbook that has no OS? (It just has the folder with the X on it when I boot it up)

6. simsaladimbamba

That is false information. I installed Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, sourced from that 29 USD (or the Family Pac, which is the same DVD anyway), many times on empty Macs, otherwise even a clean install would not work.
    If you have questions regarding OS X, do your own research and don't really trust what people at the Apple Store tell you (or at least verify it), as they are just clerks like in a Best Buy, mostly ignorant in most computer related fields, if speciality is needed.

Yes it will work, otherwise these instructions, even the ones by Apple, would be bogus:
    To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, follow one of the following guides:
    Short version: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    Long version: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install

7. shibbiness thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Young Spade macrumors 68020

And this is another example of why, no matter what the topic is, if I have a question about anything I try to get it answered online first. People here are more knowledgable and ultimately, aren't helping because they get paid, it's because they want to. That, IMO, is the best kind of help you can get.

As helpful as people might be in the stores, ultimately their job is to sell you things and get you to spend money at that store. Go in with this knowledge and don't let them sway you into buying things you haven't heard of or don't know about. Now i"m not saying they're bad people or don't know anything, however I always educate myself on everything before I enter the store so I don't end up like the rest of the sheep there buying things that they definitely don't need.