Black Macbook or Aluminium Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by porkb, Feb 21, 2009.

1. porkb macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    I am a High School student and I am thinking about purchasing a macbook. Just wondering if I should buy a black macbook with osx 10.5 or if i should buy a new aluminium macbook?
    I am going to be using it mainly for homework -- internet/email etc.

Thanks a lot,
    George

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can probably save the money and just get an old Black MacBook; that is unless you are planning to use your computer for like 5 years; if you plan to use it for 5 years, then get the Aluminium on.

Like I said, for your usage a good Black MacBook is enough.

3. DiSFLyLaTiNa macrumors regular

i decided on getting the black macbook because it was soo much cheaper on the refurbished site and didn't really need the new features the aluminum has to offer. plus all the bad stuff i was reading about in this forum before i made my purchase. in any case, i'm a sophomore in college use it for basic stuff, word processing, web surfing, music etc.. and it's more than enough. it's fast and reliable. i love this machine!

I wonder what will be out by the time my blackbook gives out. ooo.. i can't wait!

4. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I'd get the blackbook. It will be a lot cheaper, and I think it looks cooler than the aluminum ones.

5. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Just get a Blackbook if you don't have the money, but you won't be able to do any gaming on it what so ever (OK, maybe some flash games :p). The 2.0 Alu MacBook is a much better value.

6. priller macrumors regular

Not true, older games like Halo CE & WoW will play fine.

7. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

As someone mentioned above, if it is just for a year or two, then buy the Black Book, by the time you come to upgrade the Alu will be even better! The 2.4 Black Book is a very reliable machine, the Alu is... well, we don't know yet:eek:

8. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

If you don't care that the lid of the Black MacBook will look like you just got done eating a bag of chips and then rubbed your hands all over then go for the BlackBook.

9. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

I have a BlackBook and my friend has a AlBook. I like mine because it is black, looks sleek and runs like the clappers. Admittedly the graphics capability isn't all that great (but hey, C&C Red Alert 3 plays pretty damn well on medium settings on here when booted in XP) on the BlackBook but still, its black, is fast, and it is undoubtedly one of the sleekest looking notebooks out there.

That said, the AlBook is lighter and more durable... ...but it isn't black :D

10. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

If you've got the money, get the new one. It'll take you much further than the plastic pieces of crap.

11. jlamb0 macrumors member

I bought my 2.4 Ghz blackbook a few months before the new ones were released, and I don't regret my decision at all. It works great for email, internet, and office use, and I've also been able to encode home movies and burn DVDs without a problem. It runs Spore beautifully, too!

For the money, it is an amazing value right now, and I think the above commenters who are estimating only a 1 or 2 year useful lifespan are seriously selling this thing short. I fully expect to get 3 or 4 years out of this thing before feeling like I need even a RAM upgrade.

12. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

pound per pound the black macbook is faster for less money. especially if you getting a used or reconditioned one.

the one thing i like about the black macbook is there is some flex to the plastic. it simply doesnt break or dent. if i was walking out the door and i accidently tapped the plastic macbook on the edge of the door it would do nothing but make a scary noise. if you did that with the aluminum i can gaurantee you there will be a dent destroying the value of the macbook. flex is a good thing.

13. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Umm...I think the unibody MacBook has proven itself. We're 5+ months into the product cycle and there has not been any major problems. It is also receiving rave reviews, runs definitively cooler (which is extremely important for longevity), has better graphics, memory, and much more.

Bryan

14. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Sorry to be fussy but what about the problems with the LED backlights? Yes I know the MBP's had them too even on the previous build, but you don't get alternating lighting patterns on a CCFL screen... :p