Black Macbook Overheating/Shutting Down

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Shotgun OS, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, over the past few weeks my blackbook has been shutting down more and more frequently from what I can only believe is overheating.

I just checked my computer upon startup with SMC fan control - it starts up at about 70 C and at about 3500 RPM. Yet, after a few minutes, the fan immediately drops down to 1100 RPM or and fluctuates between 800-1400. I try to force the fans to spin with SMC Fan control, but nothing happens.

I've looked all over the web and I can't find anything definitive. I know that macbooks tend to overheat. What can I do?

I'm at college and I really need to find a fix for this as soon as possible. thanks.

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

Could be a number of problems.....

(a) 70 C is a bit hot for an idle Macbook. It should be more like 60 C or less. The overheat could be
    - runaway CPU process:- look in Activity Monitor
    - clogged fan
    - bad thermal paste:- iStat Pro will diagnose this, see below

(b) 800 rpm is IIRC too slow for a Macbook fan. The fan should not IIRC go below 1500 rpm. Could be
    - clogged fan
    - failing fan

As a start point I would suggest two things

- reset your SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964. SMC controls fans among other things. It's a very long shot, but it can't hurt to try it.
    - downloading iStat Pro (free) and posting a screen capture of it on here. Then we can take a look. Take the screen cap when your Mac is completely idle (eg reboot it, leave it 5 minutes with no programs open, then take the screen cap)