Black Macbook Overheating/Shutting Down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shotgun OS, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, over the past few weeks my blackbook has been shutting down more and more frequently from what I can only believe is overheating.

I just checked my computer upon startup with SMC fan control - it starts up at about 70 C and at about 3500 RPM. Yet, after a few minutes, the fan immediately drops down to 1100 RPM or and fluctuates between 800-1400. I try to force the fans to spin with SMC Fan control, but nothing happens.

I've looked all over the web and I can't find anything definitive. I know that macbooks tend to overheat. What can I do?

I'm at college and I really need to find a fix for this as soon as possible. thanks.

2. rampancy macrumors regular

rampancy

Try starting up your Mac in Safe Mode - it's very likely that a runaway startup process or some corrupted file in your user System folder is tying up your Mac's CPU, driving your system temperatures skyward.

3. Shotgun OS thread starter macrumors 6502a

How might I go about doing this, and what do I do once I boot into safe mode?

4. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Is the battery ok? A problem with the battery may cause your MacBook to shut off randomly, and it may also be the reason why your MacBook is over-heating (same thing happened to me...I noticed the battery power was chewing away as the fans blasted at around 3000RPM!)

Also, try calibrating your MacBook. Here's how - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490