Black MacBook owners: what's your CPU temp?

C64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Howdy

I have a black MacBook C2D 2.0GHz. When I got it I'm pretty sure the CPU was usually around 48-52°C (118-123°F). Nowadays though, it's mostly idling at 60°C (140°F). How hot are your MBs running when idle?

I opened it up a while ago to see if there was any dust in there. Not much though, and I cleaned everything out. Maybe it's just old age, but I'm still wondering if this could hurt the CPU in any way, and if there's something to do about it.

Cpup

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
I really hope you don't care
Howdy

I have a black MacBook C2D 2.0GHz. When I got it I'm pretty sure the CPU was usually around 48-52°C (118-123°F). Nowadays though, it's mostly idling at 60°C (140°F). How hot are your MBs running when idle?

I opened it up a while ago to see if there was any dust in there. Not much though, and I cleaned everything out. Maybe it's just old age, but I'm still wondering if this could hurt the CPU in any way, and if there's something to do about it.
My CPU temp is maybe 60 to 70 degrees like you. You're fine. I do't think you have to worry until it gets up to the 80's or 90's.:D

CPup:apple:

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
if you are worried about it though, I would definitely recommend checking out smcFanControl. It's a great little program that lets you change the speed of your fans. The great part about it is that the speed only changes when the program is running. And you can set different modes so that your fans will run at different speeds at different time (battery, battery charging, plugged in). It's pretty awesome :) haha