Black MacBook Palm Rest Cracks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pellets007, Oct 14, 2013.

1. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I have a MacBook 3,1 (late 2007) with the palmrest cracks. Is that something Apple is still fixing out of warranty? Nearest Apple Store is in NYC and I have to request leave to get up there. :(

2. pcacd001 macrumors newbie

this is an apple out of warranty defect, they replace it all thetime. ive had mine replaced last year, and my black macbook is 6 years old... they replace the entire topcase and keyboard. your computer will look like new.

3. pellets007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Awesome, thank you! Do you know if it is an available option for mail-in service? I have to request leave to get into the city, and I only have that option about twice a semester. So unless it's an on the spot repair, I'm probably SOL.

4. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

I'd be interested to know this as well as I may be getting one with a few cracks.

5. pcacd001 macrumors newbie

I remember just going in for the appointment, having them order the topcase/keyboard and when it arrived i dropped it off in the AM and picked it up the same day at closing.. I was really pushy/insistent with having it back the same day though.

6. skylarbrenden macrumors member

Man! I wish I would've known this before I sold mine! Mine was severely cracked! I thought that since it had been 6 years, Apple wouldn't replace it for free (they usually only give you the one year to return it to them for fixing/ replacing for a manufacturing defect). Sold it for $80 (had no battery, and trackpad acted up badly at times).

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Sadly that Late-2007 Macbook is in the "Vintage" status and Apple will no longer replace it or any other 2006/2007 Macbook palmrest. They will still replace the 2008+ models, until they age to the "Vintage" state of their lifecycle. They, like all Apple products, stay in the "Supported" state for about 5 years.

8. WildCard^ macrumors regular

I got the same reply from my local Apple store as the last poster.

I went into the Apple store and asked about the program, the guy at the bar said they happily fix up those under a QC program, that they just input the serial number and it replies if it's an option or not.

I have 3 machines, 1 2007, 2 2008. When I check the SN of my 2007 on the Selfserve page, it is labelled 'Vin, Macbook'. I didn't know what that meant until I went in.

They searched the numbers, the 2007 popped up a weird popup I never seen in the store before, notifying the Genius that the device is 'Vintage'. The 2008's are past the time they replace the palm rest/case for free. They quoted me a price of $120ish each to do the job. Seems fair, I just might do it.

He did state that he thought the program did it free for 4 years past the end of warranty. So, maybe this is now only open to 2009's and newer?

Guess I have to decide whether or not to do it soon, before my 2008s are converted to vintage.

----------

Wait, they did fix your 2008? He said my two Early 2008s weren't available for free, but if he did it wrong..?

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The 2008's are still listed as supported and will be replaced for free. The 2007's and older are not able to be serviced by Apple anymore.

10. WildCard^ macrumors regular

Hmm, my Apple store told me my Early 2008s were not covered due to age. I'll try again. Thanks!

11. nangaoaiqin macrumors newbie

I'd be interested to know this as well as I may be getting one with a few cracks.[​IMG]

12. gooser macrumors 6502

i don't really think that all apple stores will tell you the same thing.

13. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

My 2009 Macbook had those cracks too and it was denied a repair under the QC program at one AppleStore but at another Applestore, they said it was covered! :apple:
    I think it all just varies by the judgement of the genius