Black MacBook - possible backlit effect

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by KevinAKC, Mar 30, 2008.

1. KevinAKC macrumors newbie

The black MacBook has black keys with white lettering....

And you can buy replacement keys for MacBooks.....

So why doesn't someone make a keyset for the black MacBooks that uses luminescent ink for the key lettering/labeling? That way black MacBook users could have the effect of a backlit keyboard!

(if someone has already thought of/invented/started selling these then please point me in their direction!)

2. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

What a stupid idea it would look awful for a start, not to mention you would need to work in the dark!

3. KevinAKC thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you're not picturing what I'm picturing....

The luminescent ink of which I speak is white, same as the current MacBook key ink. So in daylight it'd look the same, and in the dark it'd glow.

4. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

5. GeneKam macrumors regular

thats is exactly what he is saying, thats a terrible idea by the way, the ink would rub off easilly and leave fingers glowing in the dark, and if you are speaking of replacing every key like that, it will not be worth the proce, i mean i would get it if my keyboard was broken and i needed to replace my old, but otherwise its not worth the time and the money

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i have a backlit keyboard and i never use the backlight. it's quite useless. only good for the show. so why spend a lot of money on it? you'd better use that money towards a real mbp.

7. GeneKam macrumors regular

oh yeah, i tottaly agree, my first machine from intel line was a mbp, it met gravity, now i got macbook, and the only thing i prefer in mac book over my old mbp is the size, otherwise macbook pro is far better.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think it's a great idea, although I love my BlackBook that way it is. :) It's my favorite Mac I've owned so far.

9. Pacer69 macrumors member

This is a visionary idea (no pun intended!). Seriously, this is a kick-ass idea and I'm shocked that it hasn't been thought of sooner. My PB 1.67 had a backlit keyboard and that's about the only thing I miss from it since getting my new BB 2.4 a few weeks ago.

Do all of us a favor and email it to sjobs@apple.com! I'd think a third-party vendor would pick up on this as well, someone cutting-edge like iSkin who makes keyboard covers. I like it so much I'm gonna make sure I email it to them.

As for fingers glowing in the dark, uh...no. The luminescence would obviously be coated with a thin varnish/urethane, same thing they put on the conventional keys to keep them from wearing.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly. I love it! Send it in.

11. Pacer69 macrumors member

I'm still marveling over this idea 10 minutes later. Wow.

It would be so easy and cheap, and it could still differentiate MBs from MBPs, so everyone wins. The kb could be "charged" just by partially closing your lid while the screen is active. Voila, instant night or dark studio viewing made easy.

And just so you guys know: obviously a lot of us don't work on our MBs in full daylight. I'm a creative professional and many times I am doing an edit in a dark studio or simply working/surfing on my MB at night. And no, of course it wouldn't be marketed as a replacement individual keys, it would be in a new product intro as stock equipment...and available for people who spill coffee or whatever and cook their original, non-lumin keyboards. Plus there's the secondary market of luminescent keyboard covers which has the potential to be huge.

12. beppo macrumors member

I love this idea. Mostly because it so easy to pull off.

13. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

so wait the keys come off easy lik do u have to still take out the keyboard? cause both ways i might do it.