Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy a black anodized aluminum MacBook Pro?

• Yes

Votes: 81 62.3%
  • No

Votes: 49 37.7%

• Total voters

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I love my black iPhone 5. I loved my BlackBook back in 2008. With Apple now making a black anodized aluminum product, what are the chances of, and would you buy, a black MacBook Pro/Air? I love the look of the aluminum mac, but I'm thinking maybe a black aluminum laptop might look awesome as well, as an option. Thoughts?

Do any services (besides colorware, I'm not talking about the glossy look here) currently anodize macbook pros?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
It would need to be a much stronger aluminium than the one used on the iPhone (i.e more scratch resistant).

If it was just a surface paint, then no. If it was part of the aluminium compound , then yes - however then it'd need to be a liquid metal shell to effectively make it black all the way through (so if it scratches, you arent left with a silver line)

I'd imagine it would be quite a complex thing to get right.

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
It would need to be a much stronger aluminium than the one used on the iPhone (i.e more scratch resistant).

If it was just a surface paint, then no. If it was part of the aluminium compound , then yes - however then it'd need to be a liquid metal shell to effectively make it black all the way through (so if it scratches, you arent left with a silver line)

I'd imagine it would be quite a complex thing to get right.

They're probably making black iPad minis with black anodized aluminium, so let's see where that is going.

But as you said, unless they use liquid metal, it's just a layer on top of shiny aluminium and sooner or later it will come off. And especially black will produce very visible marks due to the high contrast.

Whether one wants their computer, that they paid 1.5-3k for, look like **** after a year or so is up to personal preference, I guess.

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
If we can't get an updated Mac Pro in over two years, I doubt they're changing the color of the laptops anytime soon.

iLuvMyMacToo

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Australia
Can you imagine the howls coming through this forum blaming Apple and wanting to raise a Civil Case against them when their black MBP gets scratched :p

If anything I wish they'd bring the aluminium keyboard back, now that was slick.

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
Can you imagine the howls coming through this forum blaming Apple and wanting to raise a Civil Case against them when their black MBP gets scratched :p

If anything I wish they'd bring the aluminium keyboard back, now that was slick.

I miss them sooooooo bad :(

mbprolate08review-5.jpg

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
There were rumors that Apple had attempted this, people had even seen them around the campus, but that in their testing the finish didn't hold up well enough over time.

If they can get the finish to be a good enough quality over time I definitely would buy one.

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
There were rumors that Apple had attempted this, people had even seen them around the campus, but that in their testing the finish didn't hold up well enough over time.

If they can get the finish to be a good enough quality over time I definitely would buy one.

I remember reading about that as well. After the iPhone 5 fiasco, we can pretty much exclude a black computer for some time, lol.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If we can't get an updated Mac Pro in over two years, I doubt they're changing the color of the laptops anytime soon.

true dat!! Obviously Apple has much bigger, more important concerns than developing another color option, but maybe once those concerns are taken care of...

----------

I much prefer the black keyboard. I like the keys WAY better than the old keyboard, and I like that its black. It looks much nicer with the black bezel around the screen. On my antiglare cMBP tho, I would entertain the idea of aluminum keys (the new keyboard). The keys on the antiglare model are practically the only black on the entire computer and look out of place!

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
I much prefer the black keyboard. I like the keys WAY better than the old keyboard, and I like that its black. It looks much nicer with the black bezel around the screen. On my antiglare cMBP tho, I would entertain the idea of aluminum keys (the new keyboard). The keys on the antiglare model are practically the only black on the entire computer and look out of place!

They suffer from longer use though, the black keys. After 2 years my black keyboard was more or less polished to a shine, the keys becoming greasy and unaesthetic due to the lack of texture.

I got my hands on a 17" MBP from 2008 some weeks ago that was used heavily for 4 years and the keys still look like new once cleaned. It's possible the previous owners only used an external keyboard, though.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
They suffer from longer use though, the black keys. After 2 years my black keyboard was more or less polished to a shine, the keys becoming greasy and unaesthetic due to the lack of texture.

I got my hands on a 17" MBP from 2008 some weeks ago that was used heavily for 4 years and the keys still look like new once cleaned. It's possible the previous owners only used an external keyboard, though.

I would say both get about equally polished/greasy. I've seen plenty of shiny aluminum keyboards. More importantly, I had far more problems with characters wearing off of keys on the old keyboard than the new ones.

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
I would say both get about equally polished/greasy. I've seen plenty of shiny aluminum keyboards. More importantly, I had far more problems with characters wearing off of keys on the old keyboard than the new ones.

Thanks for the insight!

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
It would look OK until you get the first scratch....just like on a shinny new black car.

This is pretty much why I wouldn't want one or why Apple has yet to have one. I won't lie having one would look nice but once it's hit with something it's game over.

egy195

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2014

i wanted a black macbook pro and then i read your post, didn't really cross my mind
now to hell with them, let's keep this silver going :)

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California

I remember seeing my cousin with his old 2007 macbook pro, and always like the look of these. Sad to see that they probably wont be coming back.

But to answer the OPs question, i probably wouldnt want it, only because i know everyone and their mom's would jump at the chance for a different looking macbook. So i think i will just go with a carbon fiber skin to get the look i want :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.