Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doublea6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
All right you got me, these aren't real black macbook pros, but I did take the time to photoshop some prototypes. I mostly just wanted to see what they would look like. I got some realistic looking ones too. Tell me what you think of them!

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
computerchoppers.com does this for real! I might get my PMG5 anodized gold so it has cool shapes moving!

Doublea6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
I know colorware will paint your Mac, but it's expensive!

I tried making them have the same color as the black iphone 5 too. I kind of liked the blue blackish tone.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Colorware as you mention will do this, and it is pricey because they need to disassemble your computer and paint it. Perhaps in the future Apple will provide a black MBP, I agree it does look sharp.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
I like it

mm, with a full black MBP it gets easier to stand the horrible black bezel on the current silver MBP line...

(But I don't have it because of the beautiful silver bezel on the anti glare BTO-version of my MBP17 screen. I suspect that option soon will be gone though. :()

mneblett

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
No thanks -- looks good now, but as the finish wears off and gets scratched, the silver spots/blotches/scratches will make it look "worn" before its time. That's one of the things I like about the current "natural" Al finish -- my 5 yo MBP still looks near new.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
That's not a black MacBook, you just took a picture of the Razer Blade! :)

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
No thanks -- looks good now, but as the finish wears off and gets scratched, the silver spots/blotches/scratches will make it look "worn" before its time. That's one of the things I like about the current "natural" Al finish -- my 5 yo MBP still looks near new.

The iPhone 5 is a good example of this. I like the current bare aluminum finish too.

ryallen

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
What other company besides colorware and computer choppers will do something like this?

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
What other company besides colorware and computer choppers will do something like this?

A local powder coat shop should be able to do a computer just fine. Not as tough as anidizing, but probably lots cheaper.

I'm actually getting new panels for my macbook and am going to try to get it powder coated at the local shop. Check out my thread about it!

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
No thanks, looks like a windows box. Plus as mentioned, it will end up looking terrible after regular use.

Doublea6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
I've heard that they have gotten better at anodizing the black aluminum and that it doesn't wear as much.

Does anyone know how razer made their black aluminum? They obviously know how to do it. I guess we haven't seen to much wear on their machines though.

Apple has put black aluminum in their Mac Pro too, which means they are producing it.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
Here you go folks :D

mb.png

Full resolution: http://cl.ly/image/0T2X1h2l1S3w/o

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
you're on to something there... that's right. but still - black looks so nice... (at least in the beginning... :) )

Voodoofreak

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2012
Anyone has any links to these painting services? Just wondering what the pricing structure is like.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Anyone has any links to these painting services? Just wondering what the pricing structure is like.

Colorware I believe doesn't do anything but the latest model. Not sure about others though.

Another option could be to take the computer apart completely and powercoat it (what I am trying to do). Quick and cheap. Haven't looked at pricing yet but I think it should be below $200 to powder coat. Maybe lots cheaper than that ($50??). Anybody powder coat here??

Doublea6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
Just looked this up. Looks kinda cheap, or toyish. I don't like how the coating is reflective in some lighting. Definitely cheap looking compared to regular silver design. And then I saw the $500 cost, yeah no thanks.

I noticed that too. In the options though there is gloss and matte. So I don't know how those differ. If I had the money I might waste it just to see.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I noticed that too. In the options though there is gloss and matte. So I don't know how those differ. If I had the money I might waste it just to see.

Razer blade pro has it's black done well. I think the key is to have a very dark matte grey color. That goes a longgg way, compared to traditional black, imo.

Btw I just noticed, again, that this time for the Retina it's ~$750, definitely no. Lol

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
That looks so good! Did you photoshop that or find it? Good job, that's exactly how I would want it to look like.

Colorware.com

I created it in Photoshop, instead of being dark (black), I wanted to see how it would look like with a slate-anodized iPhone style.

Doublea6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
Yeah that's what I was going for too. I think it would look nice next to a black iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.