Black Macbook questions!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by skelaw, Jun 30, 2009.

1. skelaw macrumors member

Alright, so I am thinking of buying a 2.2 GHz Black Macbook from this site.

http://www.gainsaver.com/Catalog/De...^Macbook&PageIndex=0&PageMax=40&cICode=117278

Essentially what they have done is gutted a used mac book, and they want you to buy it with a 20GB HD, and 512MB, with a CD drive only. All of this for 500 and some odd dollars. They also give you the option of upgrading your RAM, and your HD.

What I want to do is upgrade the CD drive to the combo drive (DVD player and CD rewriter). After I get the Macbook I will upgrade my own HD, and my RAM myself and not through that company. It's just cheaper that way, from my estimates.

So what I'm here for is to ask, do you guys think this is a good idea? Any other thoughts or ideas?

My next questions are; Can you guys tell me the specific type of HD to get? There are so many, but the amount of GB I would like are 160GB. That's about as much as I would use, and it seems sensible, as well as not being too expensive.

I would also like to upgrade on RAM. How many GB of ram do you suggest?

I have several descriptive guides on how to change these, so I'm not worried on that, just the actual getting the parts.

Thanks for all your help!

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I personally don't think that's a good price :\ I think that it's a bit of a rip off; bumping up the specs to the average low end brand new whitebook and it comes to about $850, which is not much less than a brand new whitebook anyway. I wouldn't go for it.

3. RDM3 macrumors regular

Sounds like a crappy deal to me to be honest.

4. mathlete123 macrumors member

Do Not Buy!

That seems like a great deal. However, I was searching around the forums yesterday and came upon a thread about Gainsaver. Basically, it is a scam. They take you CC info, and never send you a computer. Search for yourself, but what seems like too good a deal to be true, usually is.

Oh, and after reading the site, that is a terrible deal. It doesnt come with anything! Basically, they are asking you to pay 500 some dollars for a box and a processor... just buy the new white macbook or refurb 2.4 uMB

5. rd261 macrumors regular

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

7. aarcarr macrumors member

HAHA! The battery and power adapter is sold seperate!?

8. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I wouldn't bother with it; any place that strips machines down to below factory specs is suspicious in my opinion. I'd poke around your local craigslist if you're going to buy used, and insist on looking at the machine first. General rule of The Internets - Don't buy it used if you can't fondle it first, unless it's something like dirt or bricks.

And if you're buying dirt online, you have other issues :D

9. RDM3 macrumors regular

See how much better you can do.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160343746432&_trkparms=tab=Watching