black macbook, screen keeps shutting down

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bob2131, Dec 7, 2011.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

hi
    i have a black macbok, 2 or 3 years old.

when i open the screen, the screen is just black, cant see anything, and have to open and close, and keep pushing back and forth, for it to come on, and then its off again. basically really sensitive, to on and off,

seems like the sensor inside is faulty?

when the screen is black, you can see like about 1% of whats on the screen, and so it seems to be there, just the screen is in sleep mode or something?

basically the screen is acting like the macbook is in sleep mode, when the screen window is wide open....

any ideas? could i fix this?

a few weeks ago, it was really bad.
    i took the battery out, back in......then it started to work again.

now its hit and miss.

thanks for any help given.

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Sounds as if it may be the logic board to inverter cable that is faulty - it gets trapped in the left-hand hinge and makes an intermittent connection. When you pull the lid up and down it will be twisting the cable and will usually work until you move the hinges.

It is a very simple, cheap fix if you are confident enough to take the MacBook to bits...

3. iMacC2D, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  4. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks guys.

apple could repair it for free if its a ceratin fault
    http://www.pjentrepreneur.com/2009/01/21/update-mac-book-pro-blank-screen-problem/
    cant find another link, did read it on apple website.

but dont wanna go apple.
    say if i have cracked software installed on my macbook,
    will they do anything? do they inspect your computer for anything?
    eg personal files or licences?
    also if they do fix it for a cost, it will probably cost alot.

thinking of taking it to a non apple repair place.

this has some suggestions, but im not confidant in tampering with macbook.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=450475&highlight=macbook+screen+shut+down&page=2

thanks.

5. iMacC2D, Feb 15, 2012
  6. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

the issue in that linked thread, is pretty much the same, the description of their probs and mine are same. screen going black. ie like in sleep mode, with cover open.

7. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Hold up, I believe you have the same problem as me with the whole rock the screen back and forth thing. If it is it's completely unrelated to that article since the problem in those is a bad graphics card and not a $40 cable connecting the screen to the logic board.
    If you look closely it isn't the screen thats damaged it's just the backlight going out.

A solution I've found to be quite effective is to get it as hot as possible inside my Macbook, doing so probably causes the cable's connections or the damaged part to expand and make a more solid connection.

From my personal experience if I'm out on the road and do a cold start up my Blackbook it can be a bit of a pain trying to get the screen position just right. Normally when I'm not doing Final Cut I'm doing some bad Photoshop and that cranks up the heat essentially eliminating any screen issues.
    When at home the Blackbook is usually hooked up to an external monitor and I rarely ever have black screen issues.

8. iMacC2D, Feb 17, 2012
  9. bob2131, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes, it seems its the backlight/screen on/off issue,

hot as possible? lol meaning load up as many apps as possible, fans blaring...

i am going apple genius bar in 1 hour.
    called up apple, they booked me in saying its hardware so theyll sort it out.

went to a pc repair shop, they said £50 to diagnose the problem alone.
    thats too expensive, so called apple, they said they will find the fault for free, and then its up to me if i want to pay for repair from apple. that sounds good to me .

thanks.

genius bar =
    said it could be one of 3 things,
    board, inverter,
    cable, inverter
    the actual screen

so repair costs could be around £30, £55, or £175 for screen.

conclusion = fixed, it was inverter cable, new cable + labour = £32

pleased with using apple for repair, they cleaned the macbook too, it was filthy covered in dirt and inbetween.
    the keys.