Black Macbook + Solid State Drive... Is it possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dennin, May 18, 2008.

1. Dennin macrumors newbie

Hey.

I just wanted to know if there is a Solid State drive I could buy for my MacBook. It is the black model from late 2006 model listed on this page; http://support.apple.com/specs/macbook/macbook_late_2006.html.

If you know where I can find one, it would be greatly appreciated if you could link me to it.

Thanks for the help,
    - Dennin

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Of course you could. The question remains: Is it economical?

3. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

The SSD drives are the same size as any laptop drive, so yes you can, and it would be very easy to swap it out.

My question is: why? They're ridiculously expensive and have a very limited capacity. I'm just curious as to what your motivation is when considering getting one.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Actually, a 16-32GB SSD boot drive in addition to a larger traditional HDD would be kinda nice.

My System & Library take right at 12GB. Users adds a wrinkle size-wise, but nothing unmanageable. Might be handy to have all the system processes & such up and running with the system idle in 10-15 seconds. Also, a good safety net: in the event of a mechanical failure of the HDD, the main system would still be there and useable.

5. Uoila macrumors member

6. Dennin thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, they are ridiculously faster from the tests I have seen and much more sturdy than a regular hard drive. Isn't there a 128gb solid state? I have a 120gb hard drive right now so, the 128 is perfect.

7. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Are you aware that the 64 GB alone is a grand?

8. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

9. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

And that's 3.5" too, think of the premium packing that into a 2.5" enclosure yields.

10. feelthefire macrumors 6502a